Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 3, 2005, 3:25 PM   #11
djb

thanx all!!!! wow, Dave, ya know, i never even noticed how off color these are. i think i quickly edited and posted them early this morning before i went to bed. i'll have to correct that. thanx!!! Eric, this was the first time i have ever seen a heron do this. I've seen pictures but not in real life. the heron just finished fishing and eating and i guess was drying off. I was talking to it and it actually clucked at me a couple of times (the groucho pose was one). he wouldn't fly away as they usually do. he wouldn't come closer as i had asked him. i had to go and he finally decided to fly away. just wished i had the 1.4X TC on or wished he was a bit closer. thanx again!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 4:59 PM   #12

Top stuff djb, on a difficult subject. These herons are nervous around humans, to say the least. Well done. Cheers...thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 5:08 PM   #13
djb

thekman, thanx!!! this particular heron really was unconcerned with me. probably due to the distance. though, most would have flown more quickly than this one. i think a while back Eric or someone had mentioned that the more one visits a spot the more the wildlife becomes accustomed to you. i visit this spot for 1/2 to 1hr almost every day at various times of the day. there is a bluebird nest in a dead tree in the water but haven't seen them lately. there's aslo a swallow's nest in a dead tree next to the road. they are getting braver and much more approachable now. but, there seems to be a lot of fighting and squabbling with all the swallows lately at night or dusk. i think it's a territorial thing when food gathering. hmm, maybe i will bite the bullet for that 200mm f/2.8 asap!!!! any donations???:-):-):-) anyone??:-):-):-)

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 6:14 PM   #14
DBB

djb wrote:
Quote:
thekman, thanx!!! this particular heron really was unconcerned with me. probably due to the distance. though, most would have flown more quickly than this one. i think a while back Eric or someone had mentioned that the more one visits a spot the more the wildlife becomes accustomed to you. i visit this spot for 1/2 to 1hr almost every day at various times of the day. there is a bluebird nest in a dead tree in the water but haven't seen them lately. there's aslo a swallow's nest in a dead tree next to the road. they are getting braver and much more approachable now. but, there seems to be a lot of fighting and squabbling with all the swallows lately at night or dusk. i think it's a territorial thing when food gathering. hmm, maybe i will bite the bullet for that 200mm f/2.8 asap!!!! any donations???:-):-):-) anyone??:-):-):-)

dennis
This business about them getting used to you is ABSOLUTELY true!

What helps is to wear the same colors and style of dress, so that they learn to regognise you, saying; oh, it's that same crazed human, no need to panic..."

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 2:56 PM   #15

A very nice series here dennis. You did a good job of staying with it till it got thru with his act. Very nice indeed. (Groucho & Dracula ha, ha, ha very good)

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote