Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 11, 2005, 10:46 PM   #1

Surprised this flicker when I was walking this am. No time to compose the shot because it happened so quick.

//jim

Last edited by killdeer0007; Sep 13, 2009 at 4:10 PM.
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:05 AM   #2

Nice catch.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:56 AM   #3

Great shot. Thistype of picis the bane of my photgraphic life...how on earth did you do that? You say that you surprised it while walking, which means you had like 2 seconds (less most likely)to notice the bird move, put the cam to your eye, adjust settings and shoot.

If I'm walking along and my camera is on, by the time I've moved it up to my eye and set the aperature or shutter speed...the bird (or whatever)is long gone. How do you so quickly have the cam to your face, the right settings for the shot and the bird is still only a foot or so off the ground?

I went to the park yesterday and 95% of the time, after I had composed a shot or adjusted cam settings, the subject of the shot was gone chasing after food or running away from me.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 3:59 PM   #4

G35Guy - we have a local bird sanctuary in Calgary that I visit regularly. I was looking in the grass to the left of the path at some gophers when I noticed the flicker. As I got closer, the flicker noticed me and took off. I barely got the bird in the picture.

One of my few tricks is to constantly check the shutter speed and lighting conditions as I walk. That way I rarely have over or under exposed shots. Another is to shoot in RAW and use a colour picker chart to help with the white balance before processing. Another suggestion is to try to predict what the animal would do. I knew the bird would take off so I didn't take the picture of it on the ground. Most of the time I'm just lucky.

Keep spending time outdoors and the opportunities will present themselves.

Good luck.

//jim

killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 8:25 PM   #5

Cool catch!!! I like the way it appears like he is looking at you as he takes off.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote