Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 12, 2005, 3:58 PM   #1

Unusual bird for bay area ( I think). There is small island at palo alto baylands park where forester's terns, avocets etc. live. I saw these unusual looking terns fly by and they turned out be black skimmers.

Both with 10D and 100-400L. IS off, AI servo mode on. Hand held.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2005, 4:17 PM   #2

Great job of in flight shots of an unusual specimen.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 5:16 PM   #3
DBB

Yes, great shots.

I've been told by a friend that they are out there. He's seen them near Golden Gate Park. It's the same bird as we have out here in Brooklyn.

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 5:20 PM   #4

Another lovely flight shot of a neat looking bird, bobby. Looks like the IS off is working for you nicely. Keep em coming.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 5:20 PM   #5

Another lovely flight shot of a neat looking bird, bobby. Looks like the IS off is working for you nicely. Keep em coming.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 10:00 PM   #6

Great flight shots Bobby, they are really good and the black is exposed just perfectly.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:34 AM   #7

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
The IS Off works but the focus is very slow on the 100-400L even when I have the focus switch set to the longer range. I am seriously considering 400F5.6 for flight shots.

Thanks everyone.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:36 AM   #8

DBB wrote:
Quote:
Yes, great shots.

I've been told by a friend that they are out there. He's seen them near Golden Gate Park. It's the same bird as we have out here in Brooklyn.

dave
From what I have read, they aren't supposed to be here in northern CA or CA for that matter. Even saw a black colored Ibis which a rarity here. Only got a small 800x600 flight shot. Will post later.

Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:23 AM   #9

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
DBB wrote:
Quote:
Yes, great shots.

dave
From what I have read, they aren't supposed to be here in northern CA or CA for that matter. Even saw a black colored Ibis which a rarity here. Only got a small 800x600 flight shot. Will post later.

You should first try it out to make sure that it's enough of an improvement to warrant the investment.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:25 AM   #10

Yes, you are right. I am going to order one and play with it for a while. It takes a while to get used to a lens. At least it took me a while to get comfortable with 100-400L. For the shots that I posted, I must have taken more than 100 shots. A lots of times, the lens couldn't focus fast enough. I know 1dMK2 would help but from what I have heard, a 400F5.6 on 20D focuses faster than 100-400L on 1dMK2.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"My only issue right now is that I will end up keeping both.