Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 12, 2005, 10:46 PM   #1

I shot these with the Bigma just before dark a few weeks back. I was working on attempting to use light to create interesting perspectives.

Sigma 50-500; monopod; various focal lengths, wide open aperture (5.6), and various shutter speeds (mostly higher than 1/400; ISO 800 plus. No flash was used on these as it wasn't my goal to illuminate the subject but to create a mood with the ambient light. Fill flash would have killed that IMO

This is a touch blurred but I liked the head-on direction of the bird and how the light bounced off the bird's beak and eye, as well as how it rimmed the feet

Again, I liked how the light rimmed the subject as well as the sea of reeds in the background

Another similar effect

More can be seen here: http://www.syban.ca/~normcar/blackbirds1.htm
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:48 AM   #2

Nice ones norm. I liked the #1 because the light is falling on his/hers face and I can see the eyes which gives a personal touch IMHO. I like the effect of OOF reeds in other shots.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 7:47 PM   #3

Well Norm, I think your "attempt" is quite successful. You managed to use the
light to create a very serene look. I really like the last shot. It looks like the
bird is saying its prayers before bedtime.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 8:40 PM   #4

Looks like you were having fun with this one Normcar.

My favorite is the last one as well.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:18 PM   #5

Thanks for the comments all, as usual. I like shooting these blackbirds but I can empty a card so fast on these because they are all over you when you get close to the reeds.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 2:10 AM   #6

Norm, would you consider these shots "sharp", because to me they dont look the best quality? I'd love to buy one of those lens, but im not sure if the quality is up to professional standards.
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 3:48 AM   #7

I think these shots are stunning! :|

Caroline

Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 7:00 AM   #8
Super Moderator

twofruitz wrote:
Quote:
Norm, would you consider these shots "sharp", because to me they dont look the best quality? I'd love to buy one of those lens, but im not sure if the quality is up to professional standards.
They look pretty sharp to me. And pretty good - nice take on the lighting Norm - it definitely works for me :-)
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 6:00 PM   #9

twofruitz wrote:
Quote:
Hi twofruitz, my goal in these shots was light and not sharpness, although besides the flight shot I wouldn't consider these to be soft. The advantage of the Bigma is not in sharpness (nor is any zoom for that matter) but in zoom range and color saturation IMO. If my goal in these shots had been sharpness only (a pretty narrow goal), then I would have usedone of my prime lenses:my 200/1.8L or my 400/5.6L or my 135/2L, but that wasn't my goal here. The Bigma can do a pretty fine job of just about everything, including sharpness, if the goal of post processing is sharpness. For example, have a look at the two cormorant photos below. One was shot with the Bigma and another with the Canon 400/5.6L prime lens, a noted sharp lens, and a prime at that. Can you tell me which one is which?

Cormorant 1

Cormorant 2

If sharp was my a priori goal I would pull out the 200/1.8L with 1.4x teleconverter (6.5 pounds of dynamite) and shoot away, getting something similar to the following shot:

I'm no professional so I don't worry too much about professional standards, though. I just like taking photos.

The art shots in this string are not as sharp as they could be, but then again that wasn't the goal of the string. In fact, a touch of softness goes very nicely with the soft lighting in these ones IMO.

I appreciate your comments, thanks very much for your ideas and views.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 6:01 PM   #10

Thanks Caroline and peripatetic, I appreciate the nice compliments.