Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 18, 2005, 2:08 PM   #11
DBB

Hi Norm

Wonderful shots!

As for your problem...

May I suggest addictive drugs as a substitute for lenses? There's only so much drugs you can pump into your system, while there's no limit to camera's lenses and other peripherals. Indeed, now that camera's and computers are closely related, you will find yourself homeless and living with all your gear next to a lampost where you can grab some free electricity.

It's a terrible habit, barely mentioned in the newspapers. And I ask, are there any rehab programs?

Drugs Norm, their much cheaper and less damaging to the family....

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 3:25 PM   #12
KEM

I really like the shots. I'm impressed you can get these so clear on such a dark day. Nice lens and kudo's to the photographer for technique and thecaptures.

I like the third one in.He appears to be looking back at you and wondering when your going to get out of your car and feed him adragonfly :lol:

-Kent

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 4:04 PM   #13

Holy crap Norm, I've been sitting on my hands for weeks trying to decide about that same lens. Now that I know you have it, will wait to see what you have to say about it. Keep us posted. nice series you have here considering the conditions you had.
shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 5:21 PM   #14

Thanks Dave for the medical advice and Kent for the nice compliment. Sometimes miserable days can glean out worthwhile shots but I'm getting awfully tired of the rain, as I sit gazing out the study window at miserable, grey, wind-swept horizons.

Shake, I can tell you right now that it's definitely a good lens. However, if you have a chance I would suggest that you actually test the one that you are planning to purchase before you purchase it. This is my second attempt, the first being an online sale that turned out bad (error messages and slightly soft wide open). Thankfully, I was able to return that lens at a loss in shipping charges only(assuming that my tax refund and lens refund will actually go through without a hitch).

This one is sharp wide open and works extremely well with my 1.4x extender. I bought it for the IS (handholding) and the 1.5 meter macro capabilities. My 400 is excellent, and I'll be keeping it for sure, but it needs a monopod and won't do a close focus; but it still rocks with a 1.4x giving me that extra 100mm of quality lens. I recommend the 300 ISto anyone who wants a good medium long image stabilized prime lens. But always remember, it's a prime and if you are not used to primes you may not be happy with the restriction.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 9:54 PM   #15

Fantastic photos. Very inspiring!

Thomas
ThomasATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 9:54 PM   #16

Glad you got something from them, Thomas, it was an interesting moment on a very rainy and miserable day. I'm glad that little one has a good mom. He'll be okay.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:28 AM   #17

Normcar, you should open a lens rental place.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Nice series. BTW - I bought the 400F5.6 The AF is fast compared to 100-400L but otherwise (so far) it is only tad better than 100-400L. Need to spend more time with it before coming to conclusions.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 1:31 PM   #18

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
Normcar, you should open a lens rental place.

BTW - I bought the 400F5.6 The AF is fast compared to 100-400L but otherwise (so far) it is only tad better than 100-400L. Need to spend more time with it before coming to conclusions.
Congratulations on the new lens, I think you'll end up liking it very much. However, you are so used to that 100-400, and it seems to be a good copy, that you may not even notice much of a difference after processing. I've tried the 100-400 and was very disappointed in the results, so I suspect that there may be a bit of a quality control situation with the lens. I've yet to hear about a soft 400/5.6, though. So, if you have a super sharp 100-400 and a normal 400/5.6 you may not notice much of a difference. If that's the case, I'd suggest returning it and saving your money for something else -- like house payments or rent. :-)
Old Jun 20, 2005, 8:38 PM   #19
djb

Norm, as usual these are fantastic shots!!! so shrp and clear!!!! Is your line of work to buy lenses, test them, and keep them??? have you thought of the 500mm or 600mm yet?? seems to me that's all you'd need to round out to a complete canon line of lenses!!!!:blah: great work!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote