Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 19, 2005, 6:01 PM   #1

When I went out birding today, I had the luck of watching this encounter. I'd seen hawks get mobed many times, but never seen them steal a chick.

I hope I don't offend anyone with this series, but it is the way of nature.

All were shots with the Canon 20D, 600mm f4, on a tripod. I dialed in -1 exposure comp to adjust for the effect of the sky on the metering (which helped a lot!)

Image processing is almost nothing. Slight contrast, crop, reduce, sharpen (a touch.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2005, 6:11 PM   #2
DBB

This is an incredible series of images. May I suggest you submit it somewhere?

If not, can you e-mail them to me, so that I claim they're mine and submit it myself?

I would throw in more complements, but I am at a loss for words.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 6:43 PM   #3

Excellent Eric, The only problem I have is he ate my favorite bird.:blah:

Congratulations on some fine captures. Steve
shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 9:21 PM   #4

AWESOME series, Eric.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 9:40 PM   #5

Nice job, eric, and I'm glad that you posted this rather than succumb to a more conservative view of posts. As you say, this is nature -- at it's worst or best is a matter of opinion, and I'd say that the hawk would choose the latter. Isay, letthings happen, record, and share, no matter what. This was a real neat moment and it's doubtful that any of us will ever experience something similar, soI appreciate yousharing it here with all of us. Cool stuff.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 8:45 AM   #6

I'm glad you all liked it as well.
I didn't get the actual eating shot... which some might find icky. I think they both have their squirm factors, just in different ways. I would probably have posted that too, but with a stronger warning.

This is certainly something I don't expect to catch on film again. You gotta be in the right place at the right time, and then be ready for it.

I have never seen a hawk mobed by so many birds.... wow. 15 or so orioles (Orchard and Northern) and a variety of other things.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 10:29 AM   #7
DBB

I will now make a serious statement. hard to belive but true...

There's no more crulty being done by this Hawk than the crulty that you or I use to go to the meat market. I would find it cruel if the Hawk was eating another Hawk...:lol:

In other words, these little birds have no relationship to him, except that they are birds. And when I enjoy a leg of lamb, probably Marys, is it my relative I'm eating?

I have to admit that I have sympathy for the little guys, it's a sad shot indeed of the baby being hauled up to be eaten. On the other hand, every Easter I have some of Mary's little...

One last thing, these Red Tailed Hawks don't eat little birds as a regular diet. This is probably a young Hawk who finds it very difficult to catch bunnies and rats...

Kid's hungary!

dave

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Nice job, eric, and I'm glad that you posted this rather than succumb to a more conservative view of posts. As you say, this is nature -- at it's worst or best is a matter of opinion, and I'd say that the hawk would choose the latter. I say, let things happen, record, and share, no matter what. This was a real neat moment and it's doubtful that any of us will ever experience something similar, so I appreciate you sharing it here with all of us. Cool stuff.
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:58 PM   #8
djb

Eric, fantastic series of shots!!!!!! The only thing i've seen close to this was a red tailed hawk swoop down into bushes and take off with a rabbit. wow!!!! just awesome shots!!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 4:28 AM   #9

Excellent series of wildlife in action! Predatory birds feeding is just a part of nature
and you have caught a very good sequence of that here.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 8:52 AM   #10

wonderful series of true to life shots, I like all the nature shots on these forums even if they do look a bit gruesome sometimes.:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote