Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:49 PM   #1
djb

I shot these the other day. There wasn't much to shoot for some reason. About the only birds at the swamp were swallows and grackles. Anyway, the first is a Flicker with what appears to be an attitude!! dennis

20D 100-400mm @400mm iso 800 f/5.6 1/250 EC +1

Attached Images

djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:52 PM   #2
djb

2nd shot was practicing flight shots of tree swallows. Not really good but, getting better. 20D 100-400mm #400mm iso 400 f/7.1 1/1600 EC +1

Attached Images

Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:55 PM   #3
djb

This last shot is called "Me and my shaddow" and is not very good. I took it from my truck while chatting with some bird watchers. I thought it interesting whit the shaddow. 20D [email protected] iso 400 f/7.1 1/800 EC +1

Attached Images

Old Jun 21, 2005, 4:22 AM   #4

I'm jealous! I've been seeing lots of flickers and have yet to get a photo of one!
As for the in flights, there a lot better than what I can get.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:04 AM   #5
djb

Thanks, woodmeister!!! This was an unusual flicker!!! First, they rarely sit still and i can never get within fifty feet of them. Second, this is the first flicker i've seen that was foraging on the ground. I always see them in trees or flying away from me. i missed a nice perched shot. i wasn't quick enough.

dennis
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:46 AM   #6

Flickers go on the ground looking for grubs and bugs. I see them in my back yard some times because I have a few too many ants. But I do agree, most of the time you find them in trees... and they don't like people a lot. But don't you just love how their breast spots are really circles. I wonder if they were measured how close they would be to true circles.... I think that is neat.

I do like the shadow of the beak on the heron. Nicely done.

I've spend some time trying to photograph swallows in flight. It isn't easy. I think they fly faster in warmer sunnier days, and slower on darker ones. This is, of course, all a plot to drive photographers nuts. When the shutter speeds a low, they slow down to taunt you!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:55 PM   #7
djb

Eric, i think you're right about the swallows. They are always chirping too. i think they are saying to me, "catch me, if you can!!!! ha ha ha ha!!!!" The spots on flickers are really neat!!!! it's amazing how much detail is seen in a photo as opposed to the real thing.

dennis
Old Jun 21, 2005, 2:06 PM   #8

Hey, I found my bird's shadow !! this here heron stole it [Jus pullin ur leg, dennis]

Well done on the flying swallow, looks like the same challenge is out for all of us, to catch a flying swallow ['cept for Norm of course, he's probably got a truck load of them:G]
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 2:15 PM   #9

Good job on the swallow. There are a bunch of them usually flying around a bridge at my favorite spot and I haven't come close to capturing one yet.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 3:07 PM   #10
djb

thanx Jake and bmullen!!!! we have to realize that Norm has a bit better set of gear than we do (at least me). This is not to take anything away from Norm's ability as a photographer. We all know he's really skilled!!!! But, he does have a better and faster focus system with the 1DMK2 as opposed to the 20D. His lense selection also allows for faster focusing. But, there is the technique too that probably sets him apart from most of us. What i try to do is start with a perched swallow and wait til it takes off and follow it while taking a short burst. Also, if you can, try catching them when they change dorection as they seem to be suspended for an instant. they are quick. i took a ton of shots of a young swallow that would fly low through a clearing in some bushes and land and then circle and land again and then leave. it would do this 10 or 20 times. i figured i'd set focus at a spot and watch when it was about to fly through the opening and just do a long burst and hope for the best. never got even 1 shot of it. not even a tail, beak or wing tip. i now appreciate skeet shooters and bird hunters more now that bird flight shots are similar.

dennis

p.s. sorry if this a bit long winded!!!