DBB

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/CLRAIL1.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/CLRAIL2.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/CLRAIL3.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/CLRAIL4.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/CLRAIL5.JPG[/img]

Below, a close crop of the above

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/CRAIL6.JPG[/img]

This guy kept going in and out of the light, which was the light of dawn. So I'm changing speeds as best I can while trying to focus...(excuses, excuses).

The Rail has the biggest feet of any of the shore birds. You can't see it in these images, but the toes are as long as his vertical leg!

And that's because they love mud. I sent my assistant in once (the dog) to flush one of these guys out and then had to grab the dog from sinking into the mud. THEY can walk on mud, that would sink a self repsecting Heron.

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2005, 10:49 PM   #2

Interesting bird, I like the last shot a lot. The light is just right against his side and the eye gleam is perfect.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 8:46 AM   #3
DBB

None of them "really" came out right. This bird has some subtle colors on the sides and they were lost. He stayed in shadow, popped out and then back...

I'm still cursing because these guys are very hard to approach.

They don't breed in this marsh, but move there after the chicks are old enough to walk on mud. The whole family should be there...

dave
Old Jun 28, 2005, 9:15 AM   #4

nice shots, unusual looking bird
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 11:50 AM   #5
DBB

:lol:

Not half as unususal as their habits. The first time I saw one, it was flying by, couldn't get a good look. But a rail when it flies looks like a horizontal bowling pin. And they have this weird cry, that sort of makes you look around...

They'll eat anything in a marsh, but despite these images are not really waders. They like to stay in the thickest mud and grass.

Another strange thing about them is that if you see one disappearing into the marsh grass, it looks exactly like a rabbit. It's the way they walk, tehir posture and their short upturned tail.

dave
Old Jun 28, 2005, 3:21 PM   #6
djb

Dave, excellent shots in difficult situation!!!! early light and the in and out movement to shade and light is really tough. you need no excuses. another nice thing is that you know a lot about their habits which makes for better pictures!!!! good work!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 4:17 PM   #7
DBB

The first time I saw a Rail, I had no idea what it was. This particular marsh has very few people, but I always worry about the dog scaring people. He's huge!

But on that occasion, I unslung my camera, and holding it by the monopod, with one hand, ran after the bird, and actually ran into some guy enjoying nature.

The air was full of birds, Gulls, Dcuks, ect, and breathing hard, waving my equipment, I yelled to him; "did you see a bird fly by?"

He replied; "no, no, I didn't see anything, really, I didn't touch anyone's bird. I don't see any birds."

I looked into his eyes and saw a vision of me killing him, cooking and eating him, right then and there in that marsh.

And he was saying this with birds passing over head and cawing and mewing....:lol:

I felt terrible and left...

dave
Old Jun 28, 2005, 8:50 PM   #8
KEM

Dave,

I also ran across a Rail during one of my outings. I've never seen this bird around here before. I was very lucky to get the shoots I did for it was very fast and darted into the reeds whenever i got my camera ready. A very shy and illusive bird. Like you said, The feet are enormous for the size of this guy.

Here's a blurb on the rail..

http://www.stanfordalumni.org/birdsi...as_a_Rail.html
Attached Images

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 8:54 PM   #9
KEM

This one is a Sora rail. Sorry, the pictures are cropped big time. I wasn't going to post them but thought you'd be interested.

-Kent

Attached Images

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 7:51 AM   #10
DBB

And I am interested. Yours are the pictures I wanted to take...:lol:

I've seen the Sora here in Brooklyn only once, but I have seen them upstate. They're a little guy compared to the Clapper, which is a good sized bird.

Very nice!

dave