Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:02 AM   #1

I caught these shots today at work, these guys were settling in trees in the late afternoon sun, they are hanging around as the farmers have cleared the land for seeding and theres lots ofseeds, roots and bugs around. They are full of attitude but look great in the right light.

Shot at 300m F 5.6 shutter 1/1600 ISO 400

Hey, Ive had my Canon rebel a year this week:!:

Not such great light on these next two

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:31 AM   #2
DBB

All GEMS! I especially like the first and last, but I wish I took them all...

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 12:08 PM   #3

These are great, Julie, the character of this bird just leaps from the monitor, and you have captured it especially in the first shot; I look at that photo and immediately feel that I know this bird's attitude and character. Technically, they are great except, of course, for the ones that you yourself took note of.

PS - What happened with those few, did you have the settings set for ground and it leaped into flight before you could change them (manual mode), or was it a general backlit situation? I ask because the others are so great and then these coupleare suddenly blown. And they are certainly not bad shots, very good in fact, but not technically as successful is all, and you have indicated that you already know that. I was just curious.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 2:53 PM   #4
djb

alady, super duper shots!!! the first is my favorite. most are perfectly focused as the eyes are sharp and clear!! the 2 of "lesser" quality look like a typical backlight issue as all the others have a lot of darker light than these. as for owning your camera for a year, well it really shows. i've noticed great improvement in your postings as time has passed!!!! keep them coming!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 9:03 PM   #5

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
PS - What happened with those few, did you have the settings set for ground and it leaped into flight before you could change them (manual mode), or was it a general backlit situation? I ask because the others are so great and then these coupleare suddenly blown. And they are certainly not bad shots, very good in fact, but not technically as successful is all, and you have indicated that you already know that. I was just curious.

Thanks Norm, If I remember the light was changing and I moved postion so the blue sky was not there so I guess the settings were wrong, I kept them because I wanted a flight shot.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 9:07 PM   #6

djb wrote:
Quote:
alady, super duper shots!!! the first is my favorite. most are perfectly focused as the eyes are sharp and clear!! the 2 of "lesser" quality look like a typical backlight issue as all the others have a lot of darker light than these. as for owning your camera for a year, well it really shows. i've noticed great improvement in your postings as time has passed!!!! keep them coming!!!

dennis

Thanks a lot for your nice comments. I have been pinning over getting a 20D (and cant afford to) although I believe for most stuff I am getting the results I want. My best purchase in my opinion has been the lens i used for these, a second hand metal mount 100-300 usm canon lens which I purchased on Ebay.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 9:08 PM   #7

DBB wrote:
Quote:
All GEMS! I especially like the first and last, but I wish I took them all...

dave

Thanks I like the first one too. Im wondering if there is anything I could do with the background, I hope it's not too distracting
Old Jul 15, 2005, 9:11 PM   #8
djb

alady, for the background i would clone out the tree. the upper part as sky and the lower part the rusty brown leaves.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 9:17 PM   #9

thanks, I will have a go at that later:-)
Old Jul 15, 2005, 9:17 PM   #10

thanks, I will have a go at that later:-)