Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 24, 2005, 1:15 AM   #1

Well, I finally got living proof that the notorious Cowbird indeed infiltrates the nests of other birds, laying eggs and leaving the nurturing up to the unfortunate nest mother, whatever that may be, in this case a tiny Chipping Sparrow:

Juvenile Cowbird waiting on a limb

It sees the food coming

Feeding begins (quite a size difference don't you think)

Down the hatch

Cowbird cries for more

One last look at the "little" baby

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2005, 1:57 AM   #2

Norm,

Great shots, as usual!! Such detail!! Educational to boot!! I'm thinking the admins should start a new "professional" forum for people such as yourself so we amateurs don't feel embarrased when posting our feeble attempts at photography. Just kidding! :-) Actually I get great ideas from you guys and gals by trying to analyze your photos...remember imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

...Ed
edorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 6:42 AM   #3

Awesome captures, Norm!
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:19 PM   #4
KEM

Amazing ! That's quite a workout for that sparrow... Baby Huey comes to mind :lol:

Excellent series and detailNorm!!

-Kent

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 11:19 AM   #5

Hi Norm. I've just about ran out of words to describe what I think of your amazing captures and your ability as a photographer. These are just one more example. Truly amazing.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 5:07 PM   #6
djb

yup!!!! what Houston said!!! that closeup is really great!!! oh, that sparrow better watch out that the catbird baby doesn't swallow her along with the meals!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 6:20 PM   #7

As usual, beauties Norm. I feel I have so much to learn when I view your pictures. Top notch..........cheers......thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 7:31 PM   #8

Wow that is some crazy looking stuff. Talk about being in the right place at the right time.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 9:42 PM   #9

You guys are all too nice with your compliments. It's a great pleasure reading them but I feel somewhat like a cheat, since I know how much I still have to learn and how poor a photographer I am compared to many that I've seen. Your compliments inspire me to carry on, though, and that's a real plus to have some inspiration beyond the photos themselves.

Ed, I get great ideas from everyone here and in other forums as well, and love the learning process, even though sometimes it gets truly frustrating, especially the weather.

Thanks Mullen, your shots often inspire me.

KEM, love the analogy to Huey, I remember that little fella.

Houston, as always, thanks and keep posting those Egrets.

Dennis, thanks, it's a Cowbird, though, and not a Catbird :lol: I wouldn't have corrected you but I simply adore Catbirds, so it was tough holding back.

Kman, believe me, I feel the same way when I look at many photos posted both here and elsewhere.

Zoomin, exactly, that was the thing that is really cool. I was rushing about getting absolutely nothing and then this came up and in 4 minutes I clipped off a half a gigabyte of shots. Had this not occurred my entire card would have been next to empty. That day I was one lucky fellow. Strange thing is, 2 minutes before it happened I would have considered myself the most unlucky fellow around. Go figure. That's how nature photography works. Every element counts, weather, being in the right place at the right time, light, state of mind, gads, it never ends :G

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 9:47 PM   #10
djb

Norm, i'm must have had a brain stall!!!:roll: i want to make a global appology for insulting all the catbirds around the world!!! me be a baaaaadd boy!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote