Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 28, 2002, 11:28 PM   #1

Default Molting Time

This Mourning Dove is just starting to molt, dark feathers (not black ones) on his back. Uh Oh, I did it, Canon 1D, 100-400mm IS @ 400 with 1.4 TC.

icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2002, 2:10 AM   #2

Christie, nice shot of the dove....I always thought that some of the feathers where just black. Did you mean you now have a 1D? Does the auto focus work better with small flying object like birds?
Jeffdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2002, 10:26 AM   #3

Default Congrats on the new camera..

Hi Christie,
Now you've got lots of reading and experimenting to do! There's enough new settings and features to keep you busy for some time :-)

Happy shooting,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2002, 11:21 AM   #4

Jeff, thanks. Yes, it focuses exceptionally fast on small flying birds, even far away!!! So I figure it will do really great on BIG birds close up. I'm headed to the Grand Canyon tomorrow in search of Condors. The focus is absolutely unbelievable. Loved the D30 and the D60, but both were just way too slow focusing for flying birds which is what I want to photograph (and I was far too slow on manual focus), so I'll ebay them to help pay for my 1D.

Lin, LOL. I don't even understand half the options that camera has! But it is FAST and that's what I wanted. Shot at 3 FPS (slow setting) for 24 frames of a raven flying fast over my head and all but two were in perfect focus!!!! I like it. :P
Old Jun 29, 2002, 8:17 PM   #5

Congratulations Christie on the new toy. Iíll be waiting for those flying mosquito shots now that you have the 1D, and no excuses.
The only complaint I have with the D60 is the poor focus in low light. I hope Canon replaces it in the next D model.
Tom C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2002, 10:33 PM   #6

Thanks, Tom. LOL! Hey I was trying for bats this evening, but I just couldn't think fast enough.
Old Jul 1, 2002, 7:18 PM   #7

Good deal on the new camera Christie!! How do you find the battery life to be compared to the D30/60's? BTW is your Visa as damaged as mine???
Kevin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2002, 10:58 PM   #8

Kevin, I'm excited. Took it to the Grand Canyon to photograph Condors (they weren't around), but practice shot a bunch of Ravens, fast flyers and only had maybe 10% out of focus. The A1 Servo is outrageous. Battery life seems okay, probably got between four and five hundred shots on a battery. Now have to figure out correct exposure for Black Bird against Blue sky with bad lighting.

My credit card is seriously damaged, however, I'll be selling the D30 & D60, so that will help considerably. Would have been easier if I'd just bought the 1D iin the first place. 20/20 hindsight.