Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 25, 2005, 6:41 PM   #1

Hi everyone. I've been absent to post anything lately (not that I post much anyway), but have been very busy with work. This waxwing is one of the first pictures I've taken with my new dslr (istDS). To get me started in the dslr world, I bought a sigma 300mm lens-it was cheap like me. Lol. I thought it would be better to learn the ins and outs of using a dslr before going all out in the high end lens world. I've never used an interchangeable lens camera before, so it's a new world for me. Any tips you guys have would be appreciated. Anyway, enough blabbing- I took this from afar with the sigma at 300mm, and cropped it in ps. A little levels and sharpening and thats about it. Handheld, aperture priority, f/6.3, iso 800(love the low noise levels compared to my fz20 digicam), 1/1000 sec. I know it's not the greates shot in the world, but I liked the red colouring that came out on it's wing, and the yellow tip on the bottom portion. Don't always see the red in their wings when they perch.......Cheers..........thekman.
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2005, 6:51 PM   #2
DBB

It's a nice shot. You guys out West have the Bohemian Waxwing, while we in the East have the Cedar. In any event a surprisingly difficult bird to shoot.

I took some last week and wouldn't dare post them here...:lol:

As far as lenses go. Sigma makes some wonderful ones. There are certain lenses, really a relative handful, that your brand name makes, that are better than Sigma, but professionals are quite happy using Sigma. The real point is that when you are ready to make a purchase - REVIEW THAT particuler lens.

I shoot Nikon cameras, have some Sigma, a wonderful Tamron, some Nikon and a Swarovski 'scope....

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 7:00 PM   #3

Thanks for the comments DBB. I would have liked to get the "Bigma" as lots of people call it, but will wait until I have a better feel of using a dslr. What's a good site for reviewing lenses? Would like to know for future reference. Cheers.........thekman.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 7:15 PM   #4
DBB

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the comments DBB. I would have liked to get the "Bigma" as lots of people call it, but will wait until I have a better feel of using a dslr. What's a good site for reviewing lenses? Would like to know for future reference. Cheers.........thekman.
I was going to be happy to provide you with that information.

I have three links carefully marked - they're all dead.

It's a good question, why not post it on the General question and answer topic. I will pay close attention and make new links...:-)

I will say, that I own the Sigma 50-500 and it's a darn good lens. Others really seem to like the Sigma 300 to 800

At the momnent, I'm not looking. :lol:

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 10:31 PM   #5

Kman, congratulations on the new purchase, you are moving into a world of photography that will turn you into a beggar, but one who loves taking photos because it's so much better than the point and shoot world. The background in your photo here is wild, very unique, and I like the bird of course because it's one of the most beautiful birds in the world. My suggestion concerning lenses would be to play with the one you have for awhile, get used to DSLR's, and work things out slowly as regards future purchases. You have 2 new toys, play with them for awhile and figure out what you miss the most, if anything, and then work that out as the next purchase. Lots of time, and lots of things to take pictures of.

Congrats!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 11:09 PM   #6

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Kman, congratulations on the new purchase, you are moving into a world of photography that will turn you into a beggar, but one who loves taking photos because it's so much better than the point and shoot world. The background in your photo here is wild, very unique, and I like the bird of course because it's one of the most beautiful birds in the world. My suggestion concerning lenses would be to play with the one you have for awhile, get used to DSLR's, and work things out slowly as regards future purchases. You have 2 new toys, play with them for awhile and figure out what you miss the most, if anything, and then work that out as the next purchase. Lots of time, and lots of things to take pictures of.

Congrats!

Thanks for the encouragement Normcar. There is a lot to learn, having jumped from a digicam, albeit a good one, to a dslr. It should be a lot of fun. And you're right, that background is wild. I think the first thing I've learned about the istDS is to set the colour mode to natural. I was using the bright, and it's way too punchy for my taste. Anyway, I'll have lots of fun figuring out all of the new situations I'll encounter with this new toy. Cheers........thekman.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 3:52 AM   #7

Congrats on the new toy! I pretty much agree with what's been said. Play with the
new tools for a while till you get used to using them. When your confident enough in
your skills with your current gear, then start making decisions on new lenses. BEWARE!!
Lenses can turn into a real addiction!!!
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote