Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 15, 2005, 9:32 PM   #1

Since I consider my meeting with the Juvenile Red-Tailed Hawk so unique in my own experience, I have decided to share some of the photos that show the environment and possible story behind the hawk. Someone very wise on birds clued me in, last night, to the identity of the hawk and everything about what I saw and experienced then fell together. The mother was calling to the Juvenile from a distance and it was extremely interested. Since I had considered it to be a Rough-Legged Hawk I thought that it simply might be a territorial thing, but some things just didn't make sense, as I explain below:

First, this is the distance that I was shooting from. I got out of the car, went to the trunk, changed lenses to the 70-200, all in full view of this hawk. It didn't budge. Then I walked back far enough to take the photo below to show the situation:

PS - don't comment on my gravel road touring car, it's comfy and I don't need to worry about rock chips :lol:

Before the above photo was taken I heard the other hawk screaming at this one, then this one flew down to the next pole where the other hawk had perched. Again, I thought that it was a territorial dispute, but now I firmly believe that it was the mom telling the juvenile to get further away from me. Here are some photos. You decide:

Juvenile takes off from the first pole

Flys to the second pole, only one pole away from the first. I hadn't even noticed the other hawk until turning around and following focus

Notice who the other hawk is glaring at...not the Juvenile who is flying straight at her, but she's glaring at me, and doesn't appear to be too pleased

As soon as the Juvenile arrives, the other hawk leaves the pole. I believe that the other hawk was mom compelling the kid to get to a safer environment

And last, 3 more shots of this beautiful Juvenile Red-Tailed Hawk as it posed for me on the posts; however,the first was it landing after returning from a tree (another story), the second is from post 1 and the third from post 2. Now that's what I call a cooperative hawk:

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2005, 9:46 PM   #2

Norm, thanks for posting. Awesome pics and great story.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:36 PM   #3

I like the story behind the pictures, Norm. And I won't comment about your wheels as I happen to have a Cavalier that I use for commuting to/from work so I have no place to talk.

That shot of the juvenile at the moment of coming in for a landing is terrific. The last shot shows some great low sun lighting.

Do you ever work?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:51 PM   #4

Thanks mullen and geoff, glad you took the time to have a look and read the little account.

Geoff, my next vehicle will be a world war 2 jeep so I have full access to the sky and can tackle any dirt road made. Had to turn back today because of wet mud.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 11:16 PM   #5

I really enjoy looking at and reading about your posts Norm. Your information is always informative and good. These photo's are great and my favorites are the same ones mentioned by Geoffs. That little one coming in for a landing is top notch and the last one with the tent of color from the low sun and the eye shining is top notch also.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 2:28 PM   #6

Greet Norn, I enjoy this very much. Perfect pictures

greetings

Klaus
kklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:56 PM   #7

Thanks Houston and Klaus, I appreciate the comments very much. It was an exhilarating experience.