Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 16, 2005, 8:34 PM   #1

The day was grey, dim and overcast so I decided to use my Beamer when looking for small birds -- good timing, because these shots would have been impossible without flash. I don't usually use flash but the day simply demanded it if I was to shoot anything. I used it sparingly, and only a few times while the feeding went on as well as a few times when the immature was perched, waiting for another feeding. I would not have continued with the flash had there been any indication that there was any stress to the bird. And, once I got what I thought were reasonable shots -- which took no more than a couple of minutes -- I left the feeding area. Everything went on nicely as if I had not even been there. I could hear them purr and the mother feeding them.

Lens: 300/4 IS with 1.4x extender (Canon, Mark 1)

Peeking out (grumpy but cute)

Feeding

Waiting for more

Finally, one full view

I left and went on to other things, leaving the birds to feed.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2005, 8:35 AM   #2

It is great that you were able to capture those moments. All of the shots are nice and well done but #4 and #5 are to be treasured.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 9:55 AM   #3

Very nice series Normcar. BTW - From what I have read, flash doesn't bother them.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 9:55 AM   #4

Very nice series Normcar. BTW - From what I have read, flash doesn't bother them.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 11:32 PM   #5

Thanks Houston and Bobby, for your kind comments. I was real happy to find young waxwings, and ones that allowed me to get so close, to boot. Bobby, I'm sure that you are right about flash but I can't get over the human idea of it all, the light in the eye, constantly, would drive me nuts, so I guess I'm simply doing what I myself would wish to have done to me, a flash or two, then that's enough :G. I'm also saving on battery :-)
Old Aug 18, 2005, 6:58 AM   #6

wonderful photos, I love shot four and five.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 8:44 AM   #7

#4 and $5, #4 and #5! Oh, did I mention that I like #4 and #5 the best! :lol: I like the entire series but those two stand out for me.

BTW, when did you shoot these images? It seems a bit late in the season for young, especially as far north as you are...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:52 PM   #8

Thanks Julie and Geoff, I appreciate you taking a look and leaving a note.

Geoff, my thoughts, exactly. I was pleased to see it, though, as it sort of extended the summer season for me, in a way. When the weather got better at dusk (didn't last for long)these birds all flew high into the largertrees so they are definitely along the way.