Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:43 PM   #1

Below are more of the Immature Waxwings, these all without flash, using 300/4 IS with and without 1.4x Canon extender:

More beans, mama!

Down the hatch

2 Cute and close

Testing out something other than berries

Together on a branch in the wind (trying to hang on)

More please, mama

Short technical note: I had to use high ISO (800) and low shutter but this is one time when IS definitely came in handy, and was even necessary to get a decent shot without using a tripod or monopod, which I really never seem to use. I tried for awhile but felt too restricted. The feeding shots that did work were ones that I managed to get when there was a very brief pause in the action. I got lots of blurred ones, and expected as much, but was willing to sacrifice them in order to keep the birds around for longer. I honestly believe they would have left sooner had I been using a flash gun. As well, I personally prefer, if at all possible, the look of a non-flash shot, but that in no way means that I don't believe that flash is an excellent tool for nature. I just personally prefer the non-flash look and feel that the birds hang around longer when they are not getting eye flashed. :-)

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:50 PM   #2
DBB

Not for nothing (reverting to my native Brooklynese) but in some respects these are the best pictures you've posted. I know, I know, this is an insulting remark - Every series you post makes me think that - but these really are awesome...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:56 PM   #3

Thanks, Dave, real nice of you to say, no matter what ese you use. I was happy with the results and believe that it's the foliage that makes the difference and draws attention away from the dismal greyness. As well, the diffused light helps disperse the light evenly rather than harshly, so what seemed like a curse may well have been something other. Thanks again, I appreciate the words.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 8:18 PM   #4

Wow! Stunning, Norm. Fantastic composition and detail.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:41 PM   #5

Not only are your photos great as far as the technicalities go but the series of them tell a story without you having to say a word. Remarkable

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:58 PM   #6
KEM

You amaze me at times Norm, these are outstanding!

-Kent
KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 2:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Not only are your photos great as far as the technicalities go but the series of them tell a story without you having to say a word

Time for your own publication Norm ??

[Sorry, that should not be a question, rather, a statment]

Time for your own publication Norm !!

and I'll be one of the first to subscribe !!
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:45 PM   #8

Mullen, Houston, Kent, Jake, thanks a ton, love the fact that you continue to take the time to check out my photos, and I sure enjoy looking at yours. Jake, thanks so much for the cool compliment, I'll give you a free subscription, in fact, it's free for everyone because payment is in full by your nice compliments and words, as well as the fact that you share your great stuff with me.