Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 24, 2005, 10:58 PM   #11

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Only asked because I was thinking about getting a teleconverter for my s20 fuji. I did not mean to infer that gear can compensate for skill... but you cant make a silk purse from a sow's ear

Absolutely no doubt about it, I agree with you fully. I had to spend a ton on gear in order to get images that I was even beginning to besatisfied with and that would offer more than my point and shoot cameras. It would be next to impossible, and slightly unreasonable, to expect otherwords. Good results can be gleaned from less expensive gear, but not as often, and that, to me, is the difference. I don't wish to guess at whether or not a shot is going to turn out because my gear is not adequate. With good gear, though, all you can blame is yourself, so be careful of what you wish for :G
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 5:19 PM   #12

Norm, you sure do work at getting close to various birds and with unbelievable success too! A few days away and then I come back to see this!

This is a great series of shots which are as usual, extremely good. If I had to choose then I'd say that #1 and #3 stand out for me because of the poses and nice backgrounds.

I see that you used the 300 f4L which is my favorite lens. Of course, I don't have the same variety of lenses to choose from at the high end as you do, so my only long lens has got to be my favorite... :roll:
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 12:58 AM   #13

Thanks, geoff, it's a fantastic lens and with it and the 400/5.6 I feel that I have a whole pile of distance and variety covered. I also love the weight of both of these lenses and since my style is handholding, without tripod, it's not as difficult to hold back on the big guns like the 500/4 IS, which would really be the only other long prime lens that I would even consider, since it is somewhat possible to handhold it for a little while.

I sure love those hummers, what pretty birds they are.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 6:37 PM   #14

I just have to echo everyone else's comments here...simply outstanding bird photography. I'm amazed at the detail. I'm envious of both your talents and gear.

S.K.
SilentKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 12:08 AM   #15

Thanks very much for the really nice compliment, S.K.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 6:55 PM   #16

Superb Hummer captures
Knight67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 10:36 PM   #17

Thanks, I wish I had more opportunities with these birds.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 5:48 AM   #18

As usual great shots. What I particularly enjoy is that the birds are perched as most shots I see are of them flying. There is detail in the perched birds you may not get with a hovering one.
Joenl
joenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 11:57 PM   #19

Thanks Joe, good point, I never considered that angle. When they digest their food on the tree limb they do seem to fluff out their feathers and preen a bit, so a texture does appear that one doesn't normally see in flight.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 1:05 AM   #20

Wow, Norm, this thread seems to have taken on a life of its own! I've been busy and haven't popped my head in for a week or two and I still see this at the top of the list... :roll:

Hehe - well, great photos deserve that fate, Norm...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote