Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 26, 2005, 12:53 AM   #1

I went back to the hummer location and got a chance at one grab shot which I have posted here. It never returned so I focused my attentions on the dragonfly which was mating. I thought that it would be good practice if the hummer returned.

All shots with 300/4 IS with the 1.4x extender at 1/2000th and 1/2500th shutter respectively.

This was the grab shot of the hummer, itshowed itself for about 3 seconds and was gone, never to be seen again, so I didn't have a lot of time to focus:sad:

And one of the Dragon shots (this is one feature of the 300/4 IS that I love, it can focus so closely, even with the extender attached):

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2005, 1:05 AM   #2

You are making me jealous, Norm. Your so-called "grab" shots for which you hardly have time to focus are better than my shots for which I have plenty of time to focus!

A great pair of photos yet again!

Are you using the central focusing point only on your 1DMkII?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 1:16 AM   #3

Thanks Geoff, if I'm shooting into the clear sky I will use the automatic expansion to 7 points, but if in the reeds, such as this one, I had to use single point spot focus or the camera would choose the reeds as well:

If the background is clear, I'll expand my focus points and it really helps, too.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 9:11 AM   #4

Thanks for the explanation of how you use the focusing points on your camera. I have come to only use the central focusing point on my 20D but perhaps I'll start using your technique. Of course, you have the higher precision focusing points working for you on the 1DMkII and I only have the central one being high precision, but it will still be interesting to see the results on my 20D.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 10:03 PM   #5

Fantastic Norm. Just a little more of your "norm quality". I read your explanation of how you use the focus points. I'll have to try that out also.

Regards

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 12:06 AM   #6

Thanks Houston, just remember that more focus points can also confuse the camera :G