Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 8, 2005, 8:32 PM   #1

Still working on taking sharper pictures but here are two of my favourite squirrel. Both shots taken near Canmore Alberta.

//jim

Last edited by killdeer0007; Sep 13, 2009 at 4:09 PM.
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2005, 8:33 PM   #2

Last edited by killdeer0007; Sep 13, 2009 at 4:09 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 11:12 PM   #3

Nice catches, Jim, I love the first one. It's a matter of two things to get sharp images, one is the shot, and the second is the processing. Anyone who gets perfect sharp photos without going through some processing is perhaps a dream photographer, because I honestly don't think that such a thing exists. I played with your photo for a few minutes, adding some selective sharpening, gamma correction, and contrast adjustment, and got the following shot, which I would be happy with for the most part (hope you don't mind, I'm doing this in a spirit of help). My only point is that I hope you are not expecting that lens to do more than it is able to do. There are two parts to photography these days, one is taking the picture, and the other is the processing:

Attached Images

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 11:51 PM   #4

Thanks Norm for the tips. I think it's time to brush up my computer skills and maybe get a new version of photoshop.

The corrections look excellent.

//jim
Old Sep 11, 2005, 2:23 AM   #5

Jim, I use Paint Shop Pro 5 for my processing, which is an outdated version by about 5 years. You don't need an updated version of PhotoShop, you need to work with what you have. I honestly believe this. I have the newest versions of Paint Shop Pro, that have tons of things that my older version doesn't have, but guess what I use all of the time for processing. It's the version 5, that loads fast and gives me the tools that I need. Sometimes bells and whistles only serve to clutter.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:36 PM   #6

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Jim, I use Paint Shop Pro 5 for my processing, which is an outdated version by about 5 years. You don't need an updated version of PhotoShop, you need to work with what you have. I honestly believe this. I have the newest versions of Paint Shop Pro, that have tons of things that my older version doesn't have, but guess what I use all of the time for processing. It's the version 5, that loads fast and gives me the tools that I need. Sometimes bells and whistles only serve to clutter.

Love the first shot. Cute as heck. I'm with Norm on the processing bit. I find ps cs quite slow to load too. For simple adjustments, I use my version of Elements 2 as it loads quickly and is easy to use. My cs version seems slow and cumbersome, but I do use it for RAW conversion. Cheers.......thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote