Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 10, 2005, 9:19 PM   #1

I was experimenting this evening with different presentations for a burst of frames that captured this sequence of a kestrel hovering in mid-air. I'd previously posted one of these images several weeks ago. Now I'm wondering whether or not this presentation format is effective or not (I do realize that the hawk images are somewhat small in this web resolution, but...). Any and all opinions will be appreciated!

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2005, 10:21 PM   #2

I like it. It gives a really neat view of the bird in different stages of flight. Great idea!
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 11:00 PM   #3

Nice job, geoff, these are extremely pretty birds and when one sees them they ache to see them closer. I love the sequence but think that it would be more effective if you brought them about 50% closer, even at the expense of leaving out a few birds. What a fantastic idea, and excellent flight shots. You have a good variety of wing poses to give this a great go on a burst presentation using even 3 birds rather than 6.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:11 AM   #4

Thanks, Norm and Mullen!

Yeah, I think I agree with you Norm. I think that I will experiment with cutting it back to 4 poses and cropping to get them larger in the frame overall.

BTW, I take it that with school starting up again that that is why you've been quiet lately, Norm...
Old Sep 11, 2005, 1:03 AM   #5

Here's an alternate composition showing fewer and larger hawk images as per Norm's suggestions:

Old Sep 11, 2005, 2:16 AM   #6

100% better, in my opinion only, but I also love your bow look, rather than the straight line. I'd suggest taking the closer ones and bowing them into an arc. I am amazed at the great kestrel shot that you got. It must be nice to have this wonderful series to choose from in order to make your burst collage.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 8:41 AM   #7

Thanks for your advice, Norm!

This particular bird likes to hunt for his meals in the farm field behind my house. Usually he doesn't let me get close enough to get decent enough shots with the reach afforded by the 300mm + 1.4x combo but I was lucky on this one occasion. Flight shots are not my forte so I'd say I was just lucky all around to get this burst (and in focus yet!).

There's been at least 2-3 times where I've seen him hovering while looking for a meal, then diving to the ground and coming up with a rodent meal clutched in his talons. The sequence was just too fast for me to capture but you would have had a field day with your equipment and your steady hands!
Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:29 PM   #8

Cool shot. Looks like they're flying in formation.......cheers......thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:36 PM   #9
DBB

Let me join the chorus - the shots as a series would stand on their own, but your clever addition is a winner. Norm, of course had some good suggestions...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 3:59 PM   #10

Very, very nice. What a beautiful bird.....and I really like the sequence!!!!!! Just absolutely wonderful shots. bentleysmom
bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote