Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 14, 2005, 5:40 PM   #1

I shot these yesterday with the Sigma 70-300mm dl. I've been trying to get these chickadees for quite some time. These little guys are quick, and don't hang around long-just like most birds I guess.I figured from my new bookthat they're the black capped chickadee. Cute little buggers.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"This one is ruffling his feathers - shot at 300mm, iso 800, f/6.3 at 1/500s. One of Daves filters is used for this.

2nd one, he moved a bit, and the filter is less of a factor. He was eating seeds that someone had put out on a wood railing, darting back and forth to this perch.

3rd one is a different bird and location. He was just sitting there for a change being cooperative. Got a few shots of him before he finally said, he didn't want to be on the cover of NewsWeek. This one at 240mm, iso 800, f/8. 1/250s.

Thanks for looking........cheers.......thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2005, 10:25 PM   #2

Great job of focusing through all that wood, Kman, love the shots and love the bird. Don't know what I'd do if a chickadee didn't exist.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 10:36 PM   #3

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Great job of focusing through all that wood, Kman, love the shots and love the bird. Don't know what I'd do if a chickadee didn't exist.

You're too kind Norm.Because of all that wood, I used manual focus for these. Never thought when I started trying to shoot birds that that would be the easier way. With all those branches and wood to contend with, I find it's the only way to get a quicker focus. Otherwise the lens is searching all over the place to find something to lock onto. Thanks again. You're photos keep me inspired to keep trying. Cheers.....thekman.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 1:58 PM   #4

Hey, kman nice shots coming here - [If that brown filter wasn't attached to a branch, I would say that you're beating the little fella with a stick to keep it still]

I spoke to a nature photographer recently, and he says they do have tricks that are not written aqbout in the books - like putting frogs in fridges to keep them sloooow, then posing them where they like ??!!

Keep them coming - - what happened to your avitar [If I remember correctly, you had the dude playing guitar?]
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 3:07 PM   #5

Old Sep 15, 2005, 3:13 PM   #6

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
Hey, kman nice shots coming here - [If that brown filter wasn't attached to a branch, I would say that you're beating the little fella with a stick to keep it still]

I spoke to a nature photographer recently, and he says they do have tricks that are not written aqbout in the books - like putting frogs in fridges to keep them sloooow, then posing them where they like ??!!

Keep them coming - - what happened to your avitar [If I remember correctly, you had the dude playing guitar?]

Ya that was me Jake in the avatar-30 years ago. Lol. I was a working musician for around 14 years. Now the hair's gone, the belly's out, and the hands are a little slower. What can a guy do?? Here's that photo for you. Scanned obviously. Cheers....thekman.
Attached Images

Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:52 AM   #7

NOW THAT"S WILDLIFE !!

I play/ed guitar since school as well, also cut the loong hair a few years ago, seasons come and go.

Cheers
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 4:32 AM   #8

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
NOW THAT"S WILDLIFE !!

I play/ed guitar since school as well, also cut the loong hair a few years ago, seasons come and go.

Cheers

If you ever come to Canada, we'll have to jam. You're lucky you had hair to cut. Mine vamoosed a while ago. Lol. thekman.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 9:22 AM   #9

thekman:

Try putting some seed in your outstretched hand ... chickadees are notorious for landing on hands and taking food ... better yet, take someone along with you and put the seed in their hand ... or on their shoulder ... or head ... whatever .... I've had chickadees even perch on the end of my telephoto!

cheers,

jim
jimtfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:03 PM   #10

jimtfoto wrote:
Quote:
thekman:

Try putting some seed in your outstretched hand ... chickadees are notorious for landing on hands and taking food ... better yet, take someone along with you and put the seed in their hand ... or on their shoulder ... or head ... whatever .... I've had chickadees even perch on the end of my telephoto!

cheers,

jim

Thanks for the tip Jim. I didn't know they were that easily lured in. I'll have to get some seed and try that. I think that's what somebody else had been doing-putting seed on a railing, and the birds were flying up grabbing some and taking off again. Maybe they were photographing them too. Thanks again......thekman.