Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 16, 2005, 11:53 AM   #1
DBB

This first Heron allowed me to get quite close and these are basicallly full frame shots that were just "trimmed."

Take a good look at this guy and compare him to the last two shots of what is probably his sibling - the images were taken about a quarter mile apart - But they are probaably from the same nest.

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/YELNTHERON14.JPG[/img]

Now, I've referred to this bird as he - this is a male affectation - indeed - she might be a she - because she was certainly coming on to me in this shot, revealing far more than is decent to reveal to a perfect stranger.

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/YELNTHERON19.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/YELNTHERON36.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/YELNTHERON48.JPG[/img]

Note in this last picture this bird is defintily distinct from his brother (sister? who knows?)

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/YELNTHERON4.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/YELNTHERON8.JPG[/img]

And in some of these images, I made use of my new "professional filter" that Jake and I have been discussing.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:16 PM   #2

Another type of heron I've never seen. Very nice Dave. The variety of wild birdlife in your area is a real treat. It's nice to know they have a good life being so close to a large urban setting. Thanks for sharing them. thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 1:27 PM   #3
DBB

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Another type of heron I've never seen. Very nice Dave. The variety of wild birdlife in your area is a real treat. It's nice to know they have a good life being so close to a large urban setting. Thanks for sharing them. thekman.
These birds being in New York is a relatively new development. When the Gateway Federal Park was estabished, along with the Jamaica Bay wildlife reserve, almost none of these birds lived here. This was about 25 years ago.

While I don't shoot in Jamaica Bay, the birds apprently don't read the signs and have taken advantage of the entire Brooklyn shore.

When I was a kid, my Father brought us there to fish. The sewer pipes had been shut down only five years before. This, was about 50 years ago. Why I actually remain only 25 years old is a mystery I can't seem to figure out...

Dave

Dave
Old Sep 16, 2005, 3:24 PM   #4

I just love that flirtatious pose [pic 2] flicking up her skirt and showing off her pink underware andlime green stockings!

Jakes Wild Grass Bird
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 4:39 PM   #5

Very nice series, Dave.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 5:08 PM   #6
DBB

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
I just love that flirtatious pose [pic 2] flicking up her skirt and showing off her pink underware and lime green stockings!

Jakes Wild Grass Bird
Yeah - but you know, I asked her out and she spit a dead worm at me. Can you imagine? Is that the proper way for a Lady to act? Last time I try to hit on one of these!

Dave
Old Sep 16, 2005, 5:38 PM   #7

Aaaw, don't be so hard on her,maybe she is waiting for you to kick up your kilt and show her your blue underware and lime green stockings. Chuckle!

Jake says to remind you thatthis conversation is not with him but with his WGB
Old Sep 16, 2005, 7:20 PM   #8
DBB

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
Aaaw, don't be so hard on her, maybe she is waiting for you to kick up your kilt and show her your blue underware and lime green stockings. Chuckle!

Jake says to remind you that this conversation is not with him but with his WGB
AAAAHHHHHHHHHHGHGHHHHHHH!

I've been swindled!

That little young lady was a TEASE. She's standing there, quite calmly, on, while it's not quicksand, might as well be. Unlike others posting here, I do leave the path. And last year following closely on some Rails, in the same spot this young lady was, I sank almost hip deep in the mud.

So she was safe from my attentions. I have a tendancy to memorise experiences like that and not repeat them.

Thus, I've avoided dropping off a twenty foot cliff as I did last year, just to shoot a Blue Heron. Nope - wont do that one either.

And I should rename these pictures. Two weeks ago they were Juveniles, but taking another look, they have become "Immatures."

Dave
Old Sep 17, 2005, 4:55 AM   #9

Nice series dave!!! Lucky to have these guys get so close!!
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 9:48 AM   #10

Glad you have a good memory Dave. So no more of that 'leaving the path ' stuff, as we would really miss out on your excellent postings.

You seem to have found a lovely spot where you can get up close and personal to these lovely young ladies. Enjoyyour 'can can' while you can!

Thanks for the chat and banter

Jake's WGB