Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 18, 2005, 4:31 PM   #1

I spent a day at the Oregon coast. It was bright but grey and not too many picture opportunities. There were abundant flocks of these guys (I'm not great on shorebirds, especially the little ones in their fall plumage) - they might be Sanderlings?

In any case, I noticed that many of them appeared to be one-legged little fellows Here's a series of pictures of one of them...

I got close to this guy...

He noticed me and turned around and fled on one leg!

Hopping...

...and hopping as he left me in the dust...

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2005, 4:46 PM   #2
DBB

Nice shots! And they are Sanderlings! It's always hard to tell if they have only one leg, or as is usually the case, only using one leg. But it's a bad sign if they hop around for any sort of distance on only one foot.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 4:49 PM   #3

Dave, I really believed this little guy really did have one leg. But then, after he was safely away from me out comes his other leg.

BTW, these Sanderlings (thanks for the confirmation on the id) are some of the fastest walkers on two legs that I believe I've ever seen among avians. Simply amazing and so humorous to observe!
Old Sep 18, 2005, 5:10 PM   #4
DBB

I love watching them play with the surf. They act as if getting wet is a fate worse than death, and then of course, you see them hip deep in water enjoying themselves.

I'm going to post a series I tok of them, which is unique in my experience of photographing them. For some reason, I was able to stand with the sun at my back, but also in the shadow of a sea wall, while two them utterly ignored me. This went on for a half hour and I got a bundle of shots. They actually came far to close for me to even focus on - three four feet, without seeing either me, or my White Balance Dog (patent pending).

Dave
Old Sep 18, 2005, 5:15 PM   #5

I'll look forward to your series, Dave.

BTW,does your White-Balance Dog have an 18% grey coat? :blah:
Old Sep 18, 2005, 5:32 PM   #6
DBB

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
I'll look forward to your series, Dave.

BTW, does your White-Balance Dog have an 18% grey coat? :blah:
Very, VERY, unfair. No, he's pure white, and is what I refer to as the "Full Frame" model. There are people in compitition with their toy poodles, etc, but I own the full frame model, 110 pounds. This makes certain that a good custom WB setting can be obtained from even a large distance. Those with the mini-models I describe, have the additional problem of Hawks, mistaking their WB dog as lunch.

Dave
Old Sep 18, 2005, 5:43 PM   #7

Too funny, Dave.

Just think of the photographers that have the mini WB dog variety you describe - the luring in of the raptors (hawks and owls both) is a real plus for their picture taking opportunities. :roll:Sure, it might put a fright into their pet but...