Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 25, 2005, 11:38 AM   #1

This is an odd looking bird that lives in swampy areas around here. I found these guys about an hours drive from home, Ive never come across this breed before. Not the greatest shots but give you an idea of how long legged they are. They look similar to a purple swamp hen.

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2005, 3:58 PM   #2

Nice ones here Julie. Looks like you might have been out there in the swampy area with those colorful hens.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:22 AM   #3

thanks for looking:-)
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:35 PM   #4

Hi Julie, looks similar to the purple galinule that we have here [which I think is also called a swamp-hen]. thanks for sharing them with us, I find it fascinating to see species of all sorts from other areas of our planet, landscapes as well. How's your rainfall this year - we seem to be a bit hot and dry.

Regards from the other "down under"
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:42 PM   #5
DBB

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
Hi Julie, looks similar to the purple galinule that we have here [which I think is also called a swamp-hen]. thanks for sharing them with us, I find it fascinating to see species of all sorts from other areas of our planet, landscapes as well. How's your rainfall this year - we seem to be a bit hot and dry.

Wait just a cotton picking second. WE have the Purple Gallinule. Isn't it bad enough that you transported a Hippo to Brooklyn and then perched an American Great Egret on top?

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:55 PM   #6

Mixed up world - the Purple Gallinule - Porphyrio porphyrio seems slightly diferent to the 'American Purple Gallinule' - Porphyrula martinica which occassionally gets lost and wanders through our parts of the planet - says in my bird book - " birds arriving in South Africa all exhausted and starving". Sounds like a bunch of refugees looking for political asylum:?:?
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 7:08 AM   #7

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:

plenty of rain in my part of the world, however futher east and north is very dry:-)