Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 29, 2005, 10:59 AM   #1
DBB

These first two shots are of a Prarie Warbler, although if someone has a different idea - I welcome them.

He was posing in the warm rays of the rising dawn sun.

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/WARB40.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/WARB41.JPG[/img]

I wont even pretend to tell what this little guy is. It's one of the 34,287 species of Warbler found in Brooklyn, let alone the rest of the US. Who knows? Maybe it wondered here from Queens? He was shot about an hour after the first, and the light is quite different.

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/WARB42.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/WARB43.JPG[/img]

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2005, 1:22 PM   #2

Beautiful bird.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:07 PM   #3
DBB

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
Beautiful bird.
Which one? :lol:

Dave
Old Sep 29, 2005, 5:59 PM   #4

Great captures, Dave. My experience with Warblers is that they don't sit around and pose too long.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 12:17 AM   #5

Those are some pretty nice warbler shots, Dave, although for id purposes it would have been nice to get a good view of the wings and back also. Fall warblers tend to always be an identification challenge but to my eye all of these appear to be Palm Warblers, even though the broken eye ring does appear a bit too pronounced for the Palms.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:59 AM   #6
DBB

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
Those are some pretty nice warbler shots, Dave, although for id purposes it would have been nice to get a good view of the wings and back also. Fall warblers tend to always be an identification challenge but to my eye all of these appear to be Palm Warblers, even though the broken eye ring does appear a bit too pronounced for the Palms.
I don't think their Palms, and now I don't think the first one was a Prarie. Man have I grown to hate these birds!

To be honest, I've developed recipes for them. This improves my attitude a bit.:lol:

I look at one and say, "You I'm going to saute in a cream sauce with garlic. I feel much better...

Dave
Old Sep 30, 2005, 12:17 PM   #7

Come on, Dave, warblers are my favorite passerines, they're not to be reviled. However, they are confusing to id in the fall...

The reason I went with Palm Warbler for these guys were the following characteristics:

1. Yellowish undertail coverts (the presence of these narrows it down quite a bit).
2. Overall brownish appearance of what I can see of the back and top of head.
3. Lighter eyebrow stripe.
4. Indistinct streaking on the undersides.

Behavioral cues which you can't get from these photos would be a fairly constant tail bobbing. Did you notice that behavior with these guys?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 3:49 PM   #8
DBB

"Come on, Dave, warblers are my favorite passerines, they're not to be reviled."

Really? What's your recipe?

"The reason I went with Palm Warbler for these guys were the following characteristics:

1. Yellowish undertail coverts (the presence of these narrows it down quite a bit).
2. Overall brownish appearance of what I can see of the back and top of head.
3. Lighter eyebrow stripe.
4. Indistinct streaking on the undersides."

## These are two distinct species. Neither bobbed. The reason I went with Prarie Warbler, was because I saw and shot a Prarie Warbler, but if I post it, you will get only a good butt view - missed the head...:lol:

And then my mind went blank. It's part of my meditation exercise whenever I see a Warbler. It's from this great book I own called, "Zen and the art of Cooking Warblers."

"Did you notice that behavior with these guys?"

You mean besides raising the cental toe into a vertical position? Who knew these birds picked that up from watching New Yorkers?

Ok, ok, I agree, I like Warblers and all their kin - but it's as if I say to myself - "Who cares? It's a Warbler, I will be forgiven for not getting the name right (except for Geoff, he will hound my life forever)" :lol:

Dave
Old Sep 30, 2005, 11:48 PM   #9

Dave, you have a way with light, you focus on it, and your shots always radiate your focus. Lovely shots.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 9:12 AM   #10
DBB

Thanks Norm.

I like to shoot at between 20 and 45 degree's off. So that there is always an angle, which reflects light from the target. Of course, we don't always have the luxury or time to shift our position :lol:

Dave