Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 4, 2005, 3:15 PM   #1
DBB

I've been having a good time with my combination of D2x and Swarovski 1100mm adapter...

This first shot is just a Gull hanging in air.

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/GULL14.JPG[/img]

This Guy, about 75 feet away, was perched on a highway street lamp, probably waiting for some driver to toss out garbage...

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/GULL15.JPG[/img]

This poor Gull, has a broken wing. I wondered why he was in such a panic, since I don't think he saw me - It turns out that right behind him, perhaps three feet away, was my White Balance Dog (patent pending) who while trained to "not chase the ducks," doesn't feel that going over to take a look violates that rule.

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/GULL16.JPG[/img]

This shot is of a Gull taking off, and taking steps to get airbourne.

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/GULL61.JPG[/img]

And this last was taken from about 500 yards, and there are three Black Backed Gulls, one of them immature. A storm broke this Sea Anenome free, and it washed up, rock and all. The adults made no attempt to eat this guy, and the immature would peck, get stung, drop it and then peck again. We all have to learn somehow. :lol:

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/GULL62.JPG[/img]

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2005, 8:09 PM   #2

All good captures here Dave but number 2 is the winner for me. So sharp it looks like he has a glass eye.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 9:09 PM   #3

Very nice! Amazing sharpness and clarity for the distance they were taken at.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:20 PM   #4

Great job, Dave, I really like the action shots here and the nice fresh mood of the ocean.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 9:09 AM   #5
DBB

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Great job, Dave, I really like the action shots here and the nice fresh mood of the ocean.
Thanks Norm

My favorite although it's the worst "photograph" is actually of the Sea Anemone. This was low tide, and in this spot, a good four hundred or more yards of mud is exposed. The tide had just turned and in a few hours that sand spit will be under 3, 4 feet of water. The young Gull, was refusing to give up on eating the Anenome, even though it was clear something bad was happening.

I actually did not see what he was attacking - only getting home and zooming in revealed the scene. So, I took these images, not sure of what was going on - only knowing something interesting was happening.

dave
Old Oct 5, 2005, 9:33 AM   #6

Nice ones indeed Dave! I have the Swarovski 800mm adapter and find it makes a very nice combo with my Canon bodies. I'm impressed that you were able to get a focus on the "hanging" gull - my eyes are not as good as they were when I was young so getting a precise manual focus has been tough but when it's "on" the Swarovski makes a dynamite lens. These are all impressive!

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:23 AM   #7

My gulls were sailing, not hanging in the air last week!
So special thanks for #1!
sven
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 12:02 PM   #8
DBB

Lin Evans wrote:
Quote:
Nice ones indeed Dave! I have the Swarovski 800mm adapter and find it makes a very nice combo with my Canon bodies. I'm impressed that you were able to get a focus on the "hanging" gull - my eyes are not as good as they were when I was young so getting a precise manual focus has been tough but when it's "on" the Swarovski makes a dynamite lens. These are all impressive!

Best regards,

Lin
Hi Lin

For years I shot with a lens and wasn't satisfied with the clarity. I didn't have enough for one of the fancy Nikon VR's. Now I've read everywhere that you can't shoot with 800 or 1100 without a tripod - but I am a stubborn man.

So, while I was unable to get good shots with the 1100, I went with the 800 and one out of twenty was good. After being a jerk for a year it was down to one out of two being in focus and free of shake.

Now I've swtiched back to the 1100, and find that it has better clarity, then the 800, and moreover I find that the 800 was excellent preparation.

I expect to get much better with this arrangement fairly quickly. I have to get used to it, but I can manage.

I also invested in the best carboon monopode I could find at B&H, and can use the entire arranegement hand held, scope, monopode and all. And it still weighs maybe half of what my Bigma does.

Dave
Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:50 PM   #9

Very nice shots.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 7:54 AM   #10

Thanks for sharing such nice shots. I really enjoy photographing gulls and shore birds.....and these are great. bentleysmom
bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote