Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 6, 2005, 9:21 PM   #1

I decided to try out my 500D macro lens attached to the 400 and 300 to see what I could get with the birds. The 400 proved way too much, but I did get one macro from it, then switched to the 300, both with the 500D on end. The lens was about 8 inches from the bird, and they move fast, so it was slightly tough focusing. Anyway, here's what I got:

These are all full frame, no crop.

I had a little portable seed chair that I carried around, looking for a nice place to put it where the colors would be nice. This is what I used here, too. Here's the seeds macro using the same rig

And here's a "wide angle" with the 85/1.2L. On second glance I noticed that the bird was in mid air Nice surprise. I just purchased this lens and it's really fun with the DOF. Think I'll keep it :-):

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2005, 9:50 PM   #2

Awsome, Norm!
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:21 PM   #3

the bird stayed put while you were 8 inches away? how DO you do that? hypnosis? i can't get near that close! impressive shots, as usual...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 11:50 PM   #4

Thanks, Mullen, Squirl033, I feed them, and the more I feed them the closer they allow me to get.

They remain quick, even in a state of relative trust, but the fun thing is that trying to catch them for hours on end is great speed focus practice, even with a slow focus lens like the 85/1.2, the more one practices, the better one gets. I've honestly found this to be true, the more I work on focusing on these birds in action the better I get at focusing on them. It's not unlike sports. But I like the subject better, personally :-)

They don't seem to be bothered by the lens, as long as they can trust me, or as long as they have become imprinted, whatever way one wishes to think about it. All that I know is that the more I feed them the less wary they are, which makes sense to me more than the other stuff :-) I'm committed to feeding them over the winter. I can't stop now. Thanks for the nice compliment.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote