Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 8, 2005, 12:19 AM   #1

This little guy hung around for a few shots. Garden of the Gods in Colorado (off the beaten path...) - July/05.

Canon S1-IS; 1/800 @ f4.5

Attached Images

PhotoNuB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2005, 9:33 AM   #2
DBB

Hi Photonub

This is an adorable shot, but at least on my monitor, looks way to light and then without enough contrast.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 9:52 AM   #3

Dave's right, this is an adorable shot! He's also right that it is too bright and lacks contrast, both of which could be fixed up to lesser and greater extents in postprocessing.

Did you shoot this in RAW mode? If so, the brightness issue looks like it could be easily fixed up. If not, well, it could be made better but maybe not perfect.

Contrast is easy. Try this... if you are using a photo editor that allows you to apply USM (unsharp mask) apply USM using settings of 20/50/0 (threshold/amount/radius). I think you'll like the result.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 11:45 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. I use Paint Shop Pro 8 for most of my editing, and the unsharp settings there are labled "Radius", "Strength", "Clipping". Would Radius = "Threshold" and Amount = "Strength"? Normally, I go with the following settings on most of my pix: Radius 1 to 1.5; Strength 50; Clipping 20.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I tried the unsharp adjustments recommended below and did not see a noticeable difference in the picture. However, I knocked the brightness down by 15 and the contrast up by 15 using PSP8's Brightness/Contrast correction, and that seems to have livened things up a bit.

It did look a bit washed-out, afterall.
PhotoNuB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 1:02 PM   #5
DBB

PhotoNuB wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I use Paint Shop Pro 8 for most of my editing, and the unsharp settings there are labled "Radius", "Strength", "Clipping". Would Radius = "Threshold" and Amount = "Strength"? Normally, I go with the following settings on most of my pix: Radius 1 to 1.5; Strength 50; Clipping 20.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I tried the unsharp adjustments recommended below and did not see a noticeable difference in the picture. However, I knocked the brightness down by 15 and the contrast up by 15 using PSP8's Brightness/Contrast correction, and that seems to have livened things up a bit.

It did look a bit washed-out, afterall.
Now you are discovering the horrors and joys of post processing. There are now color fringes around the top of the rock, the rock itself is now blown of highlights.

The image looks better then before - but in all honesty (and I never patronise) this was not a bad shot at all, and it can be repaired if you still have the original.

The simplest fix would be to simply make the entire image darker, and then give it more contrast.

More extensive work, would be to mask off the rock, and then make what's left darker.

More extensive work, still, would be working with layers and layer masks.

This is a good image to learn from - because it IS a good image.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote