Another accomodatingposer!
Attached Images

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 3:24 AM   #3

Last one - Here's lookin at yer!
Attached Images

Old Oct 17, 2005, 3:03 PM   #4

well I sound like a NeatImage salesman, but you should give it a try for your high ISO shots with alot of noise. its works wonders and its free. here is a quick and dirty. This would get even better if I had a camera profile for your camera. There were no good uniform areas to build an automatic profile.
Attached Images

VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 1:00 AM   #5

Thanks VA - the difference is obvious! I have downloaded NeatImage - must get to grips with it now - have been battling a little with the workings of auto-profile but that in fairness, is because I haven't devoted enough time to RTFM (Read The******* Manual!)
Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:09 AM   #6

well, what it is the program can build a niose profile if there is enough of a uniform area, like a sky or shadow, etc. This pic just didnt have one. The normal procedure would be in the first tab, load the pic, in the second tab just hit auto profile, the third tab you can skip if you dont feel like adjusting anything, then in the 4th tab just click apply. Thats what I did on your pic and it still worked OK. I did no tweaks. You can also go to the neat image website and get a noise profile for your camera, if they have one. That way the program will know at what ISO the shot was taken, and will adjust optimally for your camera. Have fun
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:43 AM   #7

Thanks VA - ran the image through NeatImage and got the same result as you (hardly surprising, I suppose!). Must remember to do this before posting in future. I've noticed that playing around with a couple of images, it canproduce very soft and hazy/misty edges. I'm assuming one would need to move the auto filter target box to another area of the image and try again ? - this is a very ignorant comment as I haven't beenable to wade through the read-me/instructions yet.

Thanks for your advice & assistance - it is much appreciated.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 9:49 AM   #8

My effort is to use a little more sharpening as well as neat image.

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 10:28 AM   #9

yes, you can get some softening when using neat image. Nothing in life is free Aladys sharpening pic is nice as well, depends on what your preference is. I find that sharpening first, the running neatimage will give you a sharper image, but more "noticeable" noise then neatimage alone, as it sharpens the edges of the grain as well. Its just a matter of what works with your image. Try different things. you can move the filter target, try a camera specific profile, and other more advanced tweaks located on the 3rd tab (much more a fine tune, not entirely noticeable)

The best thing to do is not use a High ISO to begin with. set up a tripod and set your iso to 100 or less if the light allows (im assuming this is not a DSLR shot)

Old Oct 20, 2005, 1:25 AM   #10

Thanks VA & Alady, I'm using a S5500 and have downloaded the camera's profile from the neat image site. Haven't had time to play with it yet but from what I'm seeing I'm assuming one would choose a profile from the camera's drop down list to match thesettings of the shot (iso value etc)? Again that might be an extremely ignorant assumption as I haven't really gone into it yet (taking a short cut to be honest!).