Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 10, 2005, 6:28 AM   #1
Super Moderator

I missed the focus slightly on this one, but it's a beauty for identification.

Pretty high-contrast stuff in the middle of the day and shooting straight up from below the nest.

We all have to take a break sometime...

And the one I really like the most...

This poor chap was having a really tough time of it - hours of collecting and weaving and hard work. Then the female comes to inspect his work and rips up most of it, anything not to her satisfaction.

In the end though, the nests really are a work of art.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2005, 7:51 AM   #2

Cool shots!
Barracuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 4:25 PM   #3

Hi Craig - amazing to watch these weavers do their thing [and as you mentioned, to have it all pulled down and shredded ]

I applied a bit of contrast masking to the last shot [hope you don't mind]
Attached Images

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 5:35 PM   #4
DBB

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
Hi Craig - amazing to watch these weavers do their thing [and as you mentioned, to have it all pulled down and shredded ]

Amazing about what you have to do with digital. You have to learn to be your own "developer." So that, you've just turned an interesting, but "mediocre" shot into a winner.

The only compensation for this of course, is that it beats the heck out of building your own dark room, because the store develper is a lot worse than what you could do yourself!

When I first started out, I was surprised at how lousy my shots were until I switched to a better lab!

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 6:07 PM   #5

These are wonderful pictures of a beautiful bird and his nest. It is amazing how they can build a nest that looks like it was hand made by some good craftsperson.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:28 AM   #6
Super Moderator

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:

Not at all - I'd love to hear the technique in detail, it's far more subtle than what I did over in critiques and techniques.

I was shooting straight up into a midday sky so I tried to overexpose enough so that I could pull out the detail in the bird. I knew that it was going to need some work in post.

Houston - thanks.

These guys can be found in just about every garden in South Africa with a couple of trees. They prefer Acacias though. We are blessed to have such a beautiful and interesting bird that is so common.

Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 3:32 AM   #7

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:

Not at all - I'd love to hear the technique in detail, it's far more subtle than what I did over in critiques and techniques.

I was shooting straight up into a midday sky so I tried to overexpose enough so that I could pull out the detail in the bird. I knew that it was going to need some work in post.

Houston - thanks.

These guys can be found in just about every garden in South Africa with a couple of trees. They prefer Acacias though. We are blessed to have such a beautiful and interesting bird that is so common.

Now, this is more like it. First was very decent, but love the blue background. Very nice indeed...gorgeous

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote