Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 13, 2005, 5:51 PM   #11

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
I notice that you use the 1.4 converter. I have one, although the few times I have used it, I have been quite disappointed, so it has become a forgotten piece of equipment at the bottom of the bag for me. Is there an art to using it, or as with all things, try till you succeed ??
Thanks Jake and what kind of TC to you have. Mine is the Tamron. Don't remember just what I paid for it but it was cheap. You probably have the same one. And if there is an art to using it I'm sure you would know more about it than me. I do notice that there is a trade off but I do all I know how to do such as keeping the shutter speed as high as I can and be as steady as possible. Sorry I haven't gotten around to responding to you but I've just got back to the computer after being out shooting Great Egrets all afternoon. Haven't even looked at them yet but my hopes are high.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 1:37 PM   #12

Quote:
You probably have the same one
Houston, I bought the Canon 1.4 TC, and as mentioned, I haven't had good results, then maybe I'm expecting too much, or using it in the wrong applications. I really miss the AF when using it [maybe this is what is putting me off ??]. Does the Tamron TC do away with AF ??
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 11:11 PM   #13

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
Does the Tamron TC do away with AF ??
Jake the "Tamron-F 1.4X AF Tele-Converter" on the box, does have autofocus. That's the reason I got it instead of the Canon. I got it off the internet from Digital Foto Club.com for $79.85. The camera doesn't focus quite as fast with it as it does without it but it does work and I keep it on my camera most all the time.

Let me know if you read this and if you don't I'll send you aprivate message.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 3:28 PM   #14
DBB

Houston wrote:
Quote:
JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
Does the Tamron TC do away with AF ??
Jake the "Tamron-F 1.4X AF Tele-Converter" on the box, does have autofocus. That's the reason I got it instead of the Canon. I got it off the internet from Digital Foto Club.com for $79.85. The camera doesn't focus quite as fast with it as it does without it but it does work and I keep it on my camera most all the time.

Let me know if you read this and if you don't I'll send you a private message.

Houston
I don't know about Canon, but Nikon has a different assortment of extenders. The cheaper ones will kill the auto, those more expensive will allow you to make full use. I would ASSUME (and you all know what that means) that Canon works the same way.

I have Sigma and Nikon extenders, the Nikons are much better. Of course I no longer use them...:shock:

for some reason.....

The 2x extenders take a REAL bite out of quality, while the 1.4's don't do as much damage - although in either case I recomend the 1.4's.

In a gesture of true stupidity I once used a two with my 1100mm Swarovski. This gave me a top speed of 1/100 with ISO 800 on a bright sunny day. Hand held the images were stunning - true modern art!

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote