Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 29, 2005, 1:01 PM   #1

Saw this bird on the beach when I was in Rehoboth, Delaware a month or so ago. He was very interesting looking-and totally fearless! I had my dog with me (granted, my dog is 8 lbs. and I have no doubt the bird probably weighed more than he did!! :lol but he was not at all afraid!! I was able to get within 10 feet, and have no doubt I could have gotten closer... but I justdidn't want to get too close with my little squirt of a dog in tow!! :blah:

Anyone know what type of bird this guy is?

Attached Images

Murmurmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2005, 1:02 PM   #2

Another shot...
Attached Images

Old Nov 29, 2005, 2:34 PM   #3

Hi,

It's a Sula leucogaster.
CCtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 3:48 PM   #4
DBB

CCtrader wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

It's a Sula leucogaster.
Hmm? Also caled ther "Brown Bobby." Truly an unusual find. But there are things that don't match. It's certainly some kind of Booby - and certainly an unusual find - These are Sea Birds, and don't come to the mainland at all.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 8:04 PM   #5

Wow...cool! It certainly does look like some type of a Booby. And, upon searching online after I read what type of bird he may be, it does seem that he was rather out of his natural territory, to be up on the Delaware shoreline in mid-October! (Another random note about the pics I got, I also thought it was interesting to see that he has a leg band.)

I also found this little blurb when I was browsing online,

The name "booby" come from the Spanish word bobo which means "stupid fellow." The blue-footed booby is so called because its lack of fear and its clumsiness on land have made it easy prey for man.

That description is spot on!!:lol:As I said above, he was fearless... and definitely clumsy as well!! From far away, we thought he might have been injured, but on closer look, he seemed completely fine...and just had a funny, shuffling waddle about him! :blah: