Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 1, 2006, 6:30 PM   #1

I decided to take the 300D with 135/2L, and add a 12mm extension tube to see how close I could get to macro shots of these birds. Most were shot at around 1/160th shutter and F/5 or more in order to gain DOF. 580 flash was used with some. The birds didn't seem to be bothered by the flash, even though it was less than 2 feet away. I guess they liked the grub I find that the Rebel is extremely sharp and the shots below required very little USM. In fact, I had to actually blur a few because they seemed too sharp out of camera.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2006, 8:25 PM   #2

Awesome, Norm! Hey, do you still have your other camera?
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 9:10 PM   #3

WHAT IS THE GRUB?
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 11:27 PM   #4

amazing shots, Norm... especially the first one. how do you manage to get within 2 feet of the birds without them taking off?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:08 AM   #5
RDV

Nice shots! Is the 300d a close up lens and do you focus by moving the camera into the proper range.

Ron

Edit: I see now, the 300d is the camera. I don't use Canon and did'nt know the model. A friend of mine has a 500d closeup lens and that's where I got confused.
RDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:01 PM   #6

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Awesome, Norm! Hey, do you still have your other camera?

Thanks, Mullen, yes, I still have the Mark II and I just bought a usedeos 1D, which is the precursor to the Mark II, but it flash syncs to 1/500th as opposed to 1/250th and rises to 1/16000th shutter. It's only 4 megapixel, but that's okay with me. Looking forward to using it, as I've always wanted one. Last night I found one in great shape and for the right price.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:02 PM   #7

Houston wrote:
Quote:
WHAT IS THE GRUB?

I use nuts and black oil sunflower seeds, as well as peanut suet.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:04 PM   #8

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
amazing shots, Norm... especially the first one. how do you manage to get within 2 feet of the birds without them taking off?
Thanks, I've been feeding these bird in a local campground for months now, and they have become quite adapted to my presence. They virtually ignore me and focus on the feed that I bring. I always take all feed away when I leave, so they probably see it as a treat. :G
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:07 PM   #9

RDV wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots! Is the 300d a close up lens and do you focus by moving the camera into the proper range.

Ron

Edit: I see now, the 300d is the camera. I don't use Canon and did'nt know the model. A friend of mine has a 500d closeup lens and that's where I got confused.

Thanks, the 300D is the digital Rebel, the older version. You may be thinking about the 500D, which is a Canon macro lens. I have that but usually use my Kenko tube set for getting pseudo macro shots, such as this. The Kenko set works nicely with Canon SLR's.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:36 PM   #10

Spectactular detail.¬* I love looking at the¬*intricate pattern of feathers under the eyes.¬*¬*
smac is offline   Reply With Quote