Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:43 PM   #11

I'm not quite educated enough in PS to do that. I've never taken any classes in photography nor in PhotoShop, so I'm learning little by little on my own. I'm not very good with layers yet. I can do a few things, but not sure how to desaturate only a certain area. If you want to send me a PM withexplicitinstructions, I'd be willing to give it a shot.
gracie328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 8:06 PM   #12
DBB

gracie328 wrote:
Quote:
I'm not quite educated enough in PS to do that. I've never taken any classes in photography nor in PhotoShop, so I'm learning little by little on my own. I'm not very good with layers yet. I can do a few things, but not sure how to desaturate only a certain area. If you want to send me a PM with explicit instructions, I'd be willing to give it a shot.
[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/malecardinal3.jpg[/img]

All right, here's a quick "down and dirty" method which took all of thirty seconds. Using the Magic Wand tool, I set the parameters to 32. This means that not just one shade, but a gamut of shades would be selected. I then reduced the saturation of the breast and head. Then deselecting, I noticed that the image lacked 'punch," so I raised the sauration of the entire image a bit.

As I said, thirty seconds...

You could spend a bit more with this approach, simple as it is and achieve the proper results.
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:11 PM   #13

Very nice shots, especially the male.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 7:11 AM   #14

Thanks everyone. DBB, thanks for the demonstration... although I'm not sure your details are explicit enough for my comprehension. I use the magic wand tool occasionally, but I haven't dealt withor altered the 'parameters'. I don't use it much anyway for 'specific areas' because I end up with an obvious line around the area chosen. I may try decreasing the saturation in-camera first and see how that does, then play with PS regarding the issue later.

gracie328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 8:18 AM   #15

As others have noted, outstanding photos. :!::!:
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:48 AM   #16

Thanks for sharing such wonderful birds.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:45 AM   #17
DBB

gracie328 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks everyone. DBB, thanks for the demonstration... although I'm not sure your details are explicit enough for my comprehension. I use the magic wand tool occasionally, but I haven't dealt with or altered the 'parameters'. I don't use it much anyway for 'specific areas' because I end up with an obvious line around the area chosen. I may try decreasing the saturation in-camera first and see how that does, then play with PS regarding the issue later.
The method words better on a full sized image. The paramters of the magic wand, means that you don't want to select JUST the exact color of where the wand clicked. You want all the similar colors selected as well. On a larger image you would use the "feathering" option under the "Select" menu - this will avoid the "line" you are referring to.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote