Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 7, 2006, 3:26 PM   #11

Hi here JakeTPegg - certainly all ofyour photos are just great. Being new to this site don't know much about the membership or their equipment. What kind of camera andlens were you using:|?
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 4:47 PM   #12
VP

More very nice photos jake. I also like the pelican,the ones I see won't let me get within a decent range.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 5:59 PM   #13

Hi Jake. All of your pics are, as usual, superb and it's always a real treat for me when you make a post. You have such a wonderful variety and do such a good job of your captures. On these I'll start with the bats. I like it because it is a very sharp photo and their eyes are like glass. Surely something out of the ordinary for us to see. I like the elephants mostly because of your catching it at just the right moment. Wonderful. The Heron head is just magnificent. Don't believe I've ever seen a sharper beak on one. The Pelican because of such an awesome reflection. And your African Darter is surely a much better looking bird than my Anhinga and your photo of it is fantastic. The Sunbird is so pretty with all the colors. Oh how I would like to see one of them in my viewfinder. And now for the bright colored Weaver. The mad looking stare as if he's just before pecking your eyes out. They are all great Jake. I don't have a favorite.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 9:40 PM   #14

some very nice shots there... i especially like the heron and the African Darter... like you said, their look of intense concentration is amazing... such single-minded focus on dinner is seldom seen, except occasionally with the American Empty-Bellied Teenager! :lol: what kind of lens were you using on your 20D?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 1:36 PM   #15

Quote:
except occasionally with the American Empty-Bellied Teenager
Seems this species is the same world-wide :G

Thanks all for the encouraging comments, nice to "hear" from you all again. Kanon, I use a Canon 20D, and in these shots, a Canon 100- 400 IS USM lens. The bat shots were taken with a flash [on camera], perhaps something I shouldn't have done, although they did not seem disturbed by the flash. I took a few without, but because they were moving quite a bit, theycame out blurred
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 2:47 PM   #16

Thanks JakeTPegg for the feed back. They don't give those lenses away for nothing. I had a Canon 300mm for my T90. That set me back over $600 several years ago. Your lens cost twice that now.It is worth the investment if one gets the quality of pictures such as you exhibit here.The Canon 100-400 4.5/5.6L USM equates to 640MM at its longest focal length. Don't dare breath when shooting. I assumed that you uses a tripod?
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:45 PM   #17
RDV

Every shot is outstanding!! Thanks for sharing.

Ron
RDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Don't dare breath when shooting. I assumed that you uses a tripod?
Actually, I never use a tripod. The Image Stablizer works pretty well, and I find that wildlife doesn't stay put long enough to set up a tripod.

Thanks Ron !!
Old Jan 9, 2006, 1:59 AM   #19

Hi Jake, been waiting awhile for this post. Really like the fruit bats photo.

You've probably already heard, my proposal was a success. I'll have some Malawi series's ready in the next few weeks, took more then 1500 photos, so its gonna take awhile.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:44 AM   #20

Quote:
You've probably already heard, my proposal was a success
I hadn't heard yet John, so .... CONGRATULATIONS !!!!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Looking forward to your Malawi shots - are they a balanced mixture of Wildlife and Landscape??