Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 5, 2002, 9:43 AM   #1

Default Zoo Critters & Fireworks

A couple of short pages are up with some fireworks and shots from the LA Zoo...

Gallery Index Page

examples:

RonReznick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2002, 10:36 AM   #2

Default Nice

I haven't goen to your pages yet, but when I saw the first photo here I thought immediately of 2001: A Space Odyssey....don't really know why . Lovely scene you captured.
RobertG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2002, 3:42 PM   #3

Ron, these are wonderful. The orange and the orange and greenish fireworks are superlative. The backlit Lion is superb, as are all the zoo ones. I love the Chimps cooling off in the water fall. That's what I'd like to do about now!
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2002, 11:02 AM   #4

Thanks, Robert and Christie.

The fireworks shots were mostly taken at 2 sec., f/8, ISO 200 (although I tried adjusting to f/11 for a few shots after overexposing some intense fireworks).

That backlit lion was difficult to get right, and the chimps definitely had a good idea (it was pretty hot that day).
Old Jul 7, 2002, 10:56 PM   #5

I LOVE the chimps in the mist photo - the overall feel of it, the expressions and the postures. And it was great to see the fabulous fireworks shots - my son is a true pyromaniac, so once again he put on a show for us in the street. It was fun and I uttered all the appropriate oohs and aahs, but I must admit I was glad you shared yours.
MargSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2002, 9:37 PM   #6

Default Thanks, Marg!

The 'Chimps in the Mist' was a great scene -- definitely the best of the day. It's tough to get a really interesting scene in our zoo environments... they aren't as 'natural-looking' as they could be I guess.

I think that the tight-crop look from the 85mm is good for fireworks, but for the best results I think working with a shorter, more normal-range focal length would be a better idea. I've tried shooting normal, medium-wide, and short-tele the last three years, and I think the normal range lens (45-60mm) is the best choice. Next year I'll shoot normal range again to make sure.