Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:21 PM   #1

I'm donating some images to a local Hawk Watch group. Since I edited them up, why not show them here too? They were taken over the last year or more, in various places.

This red tail was along the side of the road, just sitting atop a one story building. So I quickly pulled over and took some shots!

This one was watching a local bird feeder. I wasn't happy I scared it off, but the sparrows were.

This was hours before a huge storm, and I don't think it lived the night. This merlin was very distressed and low on energy.

This eagle flew by a bridge I was standing on.

This one took of while I was going by in a boat. Turns out an osprey drove it off.

I went to a alewife run and watched the feeding frenzy

My first shot while at the alewife run... I almost stopped shooting then, as this is full frame.

A friend told me about a kestrel that had nested down the road, in the city of boston.

Here are the babies along the 3rd floor porch they nested in the roof of.

This is at a local national wildlife refuge.

Most were taken with the 20D, but a few with the 10D. Most with the 600mm f4, but a few with the 100-400L.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:37 PM   #2

Great work Eric.* A really nice array of shots. * *Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 8:10 AM   #3

Glad you like them. Its always interesting to look back over my images and find some gems that I had forgotten how good they were.

Eric
Old Jan 18, 2006, 8:29 AM   #4

Wonderful series, Eric!
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 3:42 PM   #5

Glad you like it. I have a lot of fun photographing raptors... I just wish they were more tolerant of people! I'd love to photograph them more.

Eric
Old Jan 18, 2006, 4:40 PM   #6
djb

As usual, great shots, Eric!!!! Have you gotten any shots of the redtail that nests in the cemetary that we almost went to the other weekend? That hawk should be used to people. I would assume. Have you heard anything on the bald eagles? I think I heard someone say they were going up there sometime last week. don't remember who it was. Anyway, nice shots. I'm hoping some day I'll get a few like these.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 5:37 PM   #7

Glad you like the shots.

I have not gotten over to the red tail nest yet. I might this weekend... I'm with you, it might be used to people by now. But I'm probably taking some people to see the owls on Sunday morning... and I might go photograph harriers and a light morph rough leg hawk down at Daniel Webster Audubon Sanctuary. The problem is that is a solid hour away for me (south shore) and I'll have already driven a lot on Saturday.

I've heard reports of 4 snowy owls and 5 bald eagles up where we're going this weekend. So lets hope they are close. No matter what I would expect to see them, if they can be photographed is another matter. I'm looking forward to it.

Eric
Old Jan 18, 2006, 6:55 PM   #8
VP

Nice variety Eric. I really like the Kestrel and have been trying to find one that will sit still for a couple of seconds.

What is the last hawk in the series?
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 7:22 PM   #9

Glad you like them. This kestral was on top of the building its kids were on, so I think it was watching over them.

The last one is a Northern Harrier, formerly called a Marsh Hawk. They have a different look, kinda owl like with that facial disk-like face. They like to glide very low over water/marshy areas, but some times they'll do it over fields as well. They are especially good at doing it even with very little wind, it's rather amazing to see.

The other odd thing about them (at least where I live) is that they are one of the few raptors (only?) that will regularly sit on the ground. They don't seem to sit on trees, like most of the others we get.

Eric
Old Jan 18, 2006, 7:31 PM   #10
djb

Eric, if i'm not mistaken. harriers nest on the ground. they also are know to kind of hover over bushes flapping there wings to get other birds to fly out so they can catch them. So, I've been told. I'm hoping this weekend will be a good one for photography as well as just viewing. I think Saturday is going to be nice, fairly warm and sunny most of the day. Are we going to eagle island too? See ya at Joppa!!!

dennis

p.s. is that 1st redtail the one you mentioned to me and Andy and Mike?? I think you mentioned it sat out on a statue at a church or some building? Raptors are really fun to watch. The other day I say a redtail fly 100 yds across a field getting lower and lower til I couldn't see her and then heard a crashing of bushes and she flew back across the field and had lunch. not sure what she got as she was too far off.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote