Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 16, 2006, 12:15 AM   #1
djb

From yesterday. All with 20D & 100-400mm handheld. Nothing really much but this is my first red-bellied woodpecker. A pair of pics showing slightly different angles. Also the red-tailed hawk camecruising in like a stealth fighter, quiet and very low. He rose up coming straight for me at quite a distance. I couldn't get a focus lock on it until the hawk made a quick right so I got it at a slight angle.

dennis

1. Red-belliedWoodpecker

Attached Images

djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2006, 12:16 AM   #2
djb

2. Red-tailed Hawk

Attached Images

Old Feb 16, 2006, 1:19 PM   #3

I am often wrong but I think the hawk is a harrier. The pictures are fantastic as usual.
carpist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 4:23 PM   #4
djb

Ya know, I had thought that the hawk was a northern harrier too because of the white band at the base of the tail. But, I think I got some other shots that showed the red tail. I'll have to check on that.

dennis
Old Feb 16, 2006, 4:34 PM   #5
DBB

djb wrote:
Quote:
Ya know, I had thought that the hawk was a northern harrier too because of the white band at the base of the tail. But, I think I got some other shots that showed the red tail. I'll have to check on that.

dennis
Well, it's not the best shot for ID purposes, at least to us amateurs - but it sure doesn't look like a Red Tail. I see a touch of the "white pillow" as I like to call it, that is the absolute method if iding a Marsh Hawk.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:35 AM   #6
djb

Carpist & Dave, you guys are correct!!! It is a northern harrier. Looking at the face, belly area, and under the wings, plus the white at the base of the tale, shows it's a harrier. I've been so used to shooting red-tails and never have seen a harrier in that area, I just figured it was a red-tail. Actually, the flight pattern was not normal for a red-tail but, definitely a harrier pattern. Thanx!!!

dennis
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:10 PM   #7

Lots of the harriers in eastern massachusetts. Parker river NWM is swarming with them.
carpist is offline   Reply With Quote