Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 17, 2006, 8:05 AM   #11
KEM

Dave,
I think you might be right here. What may have been a slight issue with camera shake on my D70s is now very apparent with the D200 and its larger sensor. I've also been relying on VR to much and getting sloppy with the trigger. I hunted many yeas ago and was a pretty good shot so maybe I need to employ those methods in steadying a gun into my picture taking. Relax, exhale, and push through the shutter release …could also do without the Starbuck stop prior to shooting. I'm going to take along a tri pod and shoot these ducks with and without VR on and see if there's a difference.
-Kent
KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 8:10 AM   #12
KEM

Carpist,
I was shooting at 400mm which is far from the sweet spot on this lens... and your correct about the crop, most were ~ 1/4 of the original frame which would magnify any focus issues with the original
-Kent

carpist wrote:
Quote:
I'll bet the " soft " is from the crop. Bloody birds need to be in your lap for a full frame at 400mm. Excellent shot of a very pretty duck.
KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:20 PM   #13

I am shooting a D70 with the Sigma 100-300 F4 but use either the 1.4X or the 2X tele to get the reach. I am on the mono pod for perhaps 75% of my pics for the mobility. I think the Sigma is a great lens for the price but I will be upgrading to the 120-300 F2.8 this spring becuase these old eyes have trouble manual focusing the doubled lens. The link is to the pics from Florida with the 100-300and converters. Fill the frame and most of the soft stuff goes away so a lot of the time the crop kills you. Take care

http://webpages.charter.net/carpist/...orida%20birds/
carpist is offline   Reply With Quote