Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 19, 2006, 2:08 AM   #1
djb

About the only birds I have been able to get anything half decent has been red-tailed hawks. There seems to be a real bumper crop of them lately!! Quite a few seem to be paired up for mating season real soon. As usual, taken with 20D & 100-400mm handheld.

dennis

1. One of a nesting pair taken a while back.

Attached Images

djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2006, 2:09 AM   #2
djb

2. This one caught some light as it was doing accrobatics at a distance.

Attached Images

Old Feb 19, 2006, 5:34 AM   #3

djb,

In as much as it would have been great to have gotten the whole head visible, the first shot here is really nice. IMO--the treetopsat the bottom of the photo, while not distracting from it, do not add anything either.Cloning these out would give the image a stronger focus. I do not often voice my opinions on other peoples work, because it is just that--their work, however, I like this shot and I just wanted you to consider another viewpoint, that like I said, IMO--might make the image stronger. A slight curve adjustment would also bring out more of the detail under the wings and around the talons.

Tom W
Tom W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 8:51 AM   #4
DBB

Tom W wrote:
Quote:
djb,

In as much as it would have been great to have gotten the whole head visible, the first shot here is really nice. IMO--the treetops at the bottom of the photo, while not distracting from it, do not add anything either. Cloning these out would give the image a stronger focus. I do not often voice my opinions on other peoples work, because it is just that--their work, however, I like this shot and I just wanted you to consider another viewpoint, that like I said, IMO--might make the image stronger. A slight curve adjustment would also bring out more of the detail under the wings and around the talons.

Tom W
That first shot is VERY interesting. Birds ALWAYS fly with their heads level. This is the first time I've seen one, with the head at an angle.

Much thanks - wonderful shot:!:

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 9:39 AM   #5

Both good shots djb. I'd love to be able to shoot a hawk or an eagle. Never seem to be around when I'm out there. Thanks for sharing.......thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:01 AM   #6
djb

Than all!!! Tom W., I had thought of cloning the 2 branch tops out but, sometimes just a plain bird with no background or such just seems too plain. I used a bit of shadow/highlight to bring out some of the detail. It was a fairly dark shot to begin with. Well it's 11:00AM and it is bright out, however cold, so I should be getting out to find something to photograph!!!:-) Thanx again!!!

dennis
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:16 AM   #7
djb

Here's a redo of the first pic. Cloned out the branches and palyed around with some other stuff. Resiazed too. also put through neat image.

dennis

Attached Images