Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 28, 2006, 9:03 PM   #11
KEM

Linda,
Just beautiful! Love that color scheme with the subtle tones of the hawk, snag and backdrop....That red on the mouse clashes though :G
-Kent

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:45 PM   #12

Squirl033 - I was using a Canon 300mm f/4L IS lens. Thank you everyone for the feedback. I have been lucky twice lately with a Hawk allowing me to photograph him/her. Normally, they are VERY skiddish and will fly off if I just slow down my car to look! If you look on my website www.tc.umn.edu~lkrueger under "Birds" and then under "Raptors" and go to page 2, you will see a Red-tailed Hawk in the center of the second row of thumbnails. That Hawk let me take a ton of photos of him and even let me go back to my car and get the tripod! That photo is barely cropped and I was only using the 300mm lens at that time (I switched to the 400 after that and got even more). It was an amazing experience. In both cases, this Rough-legged Hawk and that Red-tailed Hawk were swooping down to get a mouse and then eating it. So, I think the Hawk was more interested in listening for mice than in worrying about me. The Red-tailed Hawk swooped down and got a mouse twice while I was photographing and then flew to a tree branch near me! Very odd.
101Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 7:02 AM   #13

Wonderful series Linda. I love the background. The bird and prey really stand out. Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 9:47 AM   #14
DBB

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
Nice, I can't get close to anytype of hawk.
Notice that none of these people are telling you their secret for this either:!:

The trick is to dress up as a giant mouse. They all do it, but just wont admit it. ()

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:50 AM   #15

DBB wrote:
Quote:
bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
Nice, I can't get close to anytype of hawk.
Notice that none of these people are telling you their secret for this either:!:

The trick is to dress up as a giant mouse. They all do it, but just wont admit it. ()

Dave
I think they should make photographer decoys - you can put up 'scarecrow photographers' so the wildlife gets used to them and allows you to get near. Of course it might freak out other people who frequent that area, but sacrifices must be made
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 5:06 PM   #16
DBB

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
I think they should make photographer decoys - you can put up 'scarecrow photographers' so the wildlife gets used to them and allows you to get near. Of course it might freak out other people who frequent that area, but sacrifices must be made
This is not as dumb as it sounds. It is exactly the purpose of my White Blance Dog (patent pending).

He is trained (he trained himself, I had nothing to do with it) to distract the birds, and while they lock onto him, I get closer....:lol:

Really.

Dave
Old Mar 1, 2006, 5:07 PM   #17

Dave,

I hope your dog isn't small and mouse-like :-)
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 2:06 AM   #18

Linda,

These are really great--especially for being heavily cropped.

Tom W
Tom W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:36 AM   #19

Linda, it looks favourable weather wise for Saturday so Tom and I are heading down to Colvill and probably over to the Alma dam to photograph some Eagles. If your at Colvill in the morning we will be in a Greenish Acura MDX.... feel free to say hey!:-)
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:16 AM   #20
DBB

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Dave,

I hope your dog isn't small and mouse-like :-)
110 pounds and thinks he's a wolf...

Oddly enough, he's a very aggresive dog as well, but he actually likes birds. He used to catch pigins and then release them. He can easily catch a duck - twenty foot horizontal reach - Even so, he is trained to, "don't chase the ducks." A duck being defined as any animal other then a clam or a crab. He catches them and eats them on the spot.:shock:

To please me he learned to angle off from mmy shooting and start acting silly. Shore Birds, then watch his antics, and I can get close enough for shots.

Dave