Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 28, 2006, 4:33 PM   #1

After some tries I got the light and the DOF as I wanted and was lucky enough to take a shot where this little fella looks with both eyes towards my direction.

What do you say? It's almost like he would have a peaceful little smile on his face and then the "dont hurry" overall look&feel - he's very far away from being a choleric I'd say

Sorry to pester you, but I have a question... crop or leave it that way? I feel ook about the picture, but the chameleon doesn't sit exactly in the middle - this for anybody a concern?

Aif you would crop - where? After trying like half a dozen approaches I am not sure what to do and stopped the cropping - I still feel the picture is ok as it is... or not?

Have fun!
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2006, 4:44 PM   #2

Wow great shot!!!

I really like the details

Here is my version...More saturation an a little crop!

Attached Images

Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 4:50 PM   #3
DBB

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
After some tries I got the light and the DOF as I wanted and was lucky enough to take a shot where this little fella looks with both eyes towards my direction.

What do you say? It's almost like he would have a peaceful little smile on his face and then the "dont hurry" overall look&feel - he's very far away from being a choleric I'd say

Sorry to pester you, but I have a question... crop or leave it that way? I feel ook about the picture, but the chameleon doesn't sit exactly in the middle - this for anybody a concern?

Aif you would crop - where? After trying like half a dozen approaches I am not sure what to do and stopped the cropping - I still feel the picture is ok as it is... or not?

Have fun!
It's a really nice shot. But the problem in relation to cropping is that you "cropped" the image when you took it, and there's not enough room UNDER the little guy. This is why your addtional cropping doesn't look right.

There's absolutely no need to have him min the center. I avoid like the plague trying to "center" my subject."

I wou;d storage the image as is, and if you ever want to print it, or do anything more, perhaps a little off the top.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 9:29 PM   #4
KEM

I like it as is... although I'd center it more (top/bottom) but thats just me. It works either way.

I might suggest some noise reduction to pull the subject forward.
-Kent

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 1:23 AM   #5

Uhh ohh,
thanks for the kind replies !!!

@DBB
Centering the chameleon is not a must, I only asked because of that "staring" look, and thought if it's face and especially the eyes were exactly in the center this might make this "I look at you" feeling more intense for the viewer. You are absolutely right, here's already some zoom involved and I already tried to compose the picture as I took it - was just curious what others would feel about it.

I wasn't sure about the tail (so less zoom to give a full view on the animal) but then I decided for a more "face/head" oriented shot since with the small DOF a big part of the body is blurred anyway.

@Boily
Ah - just a tad... as I said I was curious if people would go for a centered "portrait" and crop heavily or a horizontal "movie wide screen crop" etc. I think the animals surrounding adds a lot to the "feeling" in that picture so it's hard to cut it away.

OK - I'll leave it that way then!

Thanks for all the useful hints - I learned so much from this forum and it's users!

Regards
Old Mar 1, 2006, 6:13 AM   #6

I agree, a little too tightly cropped.

Better to shoot wide and choose your crop later.

You can always recrop a photo if you decide to change the cropping later (especially easy if you shoot RAW format).

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 6:53 AM   #7

@Terry
With my Oly C770 the only "RAW" mode is to save pic as TIFF rather than JPEG, but this aint no "real RAW".

Cropping might be easier with 8mpix+ cameras, but with my 4mpix I try for a good use of the zoom to get the details I want.

Always hard to decide what will be best...