Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 10, 2006, 4:36 PM   #61

Wonderful pictures
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 6:24 PM   #62

Thanks for the kind words Jake and Boily.

Jake, could you tell me which picture you think is particularly oversharpened? I'm still struggling with raw conversion, so I might just play around with that picture (if it weren't for the bad AWB, I'd still shoot JPEG).
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 3:10 PM   #63

Hi thebac - They all seem to be a little oversharpened, also a bit "noisy". I see you are shooting atISO500, which could be adding to the noise, I'm not sure of the D70's ability to capture noiseless pics at higher iso's. Obviously if you need the extrashutter speed, the iso has to go up, however you have some pretty good static shots [like the oriole] which would have looked a lot better with a lower iso. Of course, if you have to have the higher iso and noise is unavoidable, you can use noise recuction software [various brands on the market, a good free version available here : http://heliconfilter.com/pages/downloads.html] hope that helps.

On the lack of response to your posts, it might be better if you post seperate posts instead of one LOOOOng one. Some people have limited internet access, and it can take quite a long time to open a long post.

Trust this helps, keep on posting your adventures

I ran Noise Ninja through the oriole shot
Attached Images

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 4:26 PM   #64
DBB

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
Hi thebac -

On the lack of response to your posts, it might be better if you post seperate posts instead of one LOOOOng one. Some people have limited internet access, and it can take quite a long time to open a long post.

Trust this helps, keep on posting your adventures

I ran Noise Ninja through the oriole shot
Yes. A little patience. I try to limit the number and size of my posts so that people can look at them without screaming and cursing....:-)

Noise Ninja is a gift from the Gods, what did I do before it (or noiseware professional)?

And Jake, I do believe you know it's not an Oriole....:G

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 9:31 PM   #65

Hi Jake,

thanks for the advice, I'll start a new thread every time from now on.

As far as ISO, 500 is about as far as I'll go from a noise and DR standpoint. I'm not so spoiled by the noiseless high ISO performance as you Canonites are, so a little noise doesn't bother me too much (I don't generally use noise reduction in camera or software unless I'm above 800, although that's partially b/c I don't know how to use it well).

I leave it at 500 b/c I'm generally happy with it, and b/c I shoot at f/8. Wide open, my new lens isn't quite as sharp as the 80-200 wide open, but more than that, I'm concerned about DoF.

I do think I see what you mean by oversharpening. I'll probably have to experiment a bit with RAW conversion to figure out better settings. I probably have to spend some time learning how to process my pictures. I suspect that I'm introducing quite a bit of noise from the bumping of contrast and sharpening in PP.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 1:18 AM   #66

Quote:
Only because I have seen thekman refer to it as a redwinged blackbird, otherwise it could be a feral pigeon as far as I would know :lol:

Old Apr 13, 2006, 1:23 AM   #67

Quote:
Only because I have seen thekman refer to it as a redwinged blackbird, otherwise it could be a feral pigeon as far as I would know :lol:

Old Apr 13, 2006, 1:24 AM   #68

Quote: