Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:43 AM   #1

It's been a long and rainy winter in Oregon and I've done hardly any photography. We finally had a few days of sunshine and the feel of spring was in the air and I was able to get out and see some species I hadn't seen around in awhile.

During my meanderings I was walking along the Wllamette River beneath a grove of Doug Fir trees and came upon a small group of these Chestnut-backed Chickadees. I don't see them much (actually, never before, in the lowlands where I live) so I was really excited when I saw them through my viewfinder and recognized them as such. Sometimes you get lucky and you snap so many shots that are decent you don't know which ones to post. This was one of those cases. It doesn't happen too often for me but I'll take it when it comes! :lol:

Canon 20D, 300/4L IS + 1.4xTC, 1/400 @ f6.3, ISO 200, heavy crop, usual PSCS2 work.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Geoff Shapiro Photography
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2006, 1:55 PM   #2

Wonderful photo and a bird I've never seen here in Minnesota.
101Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 2:05 PM   #3

Hi there, Linda! Thanks for looking and appreciating this image. You won't find Chestnut-backed Chickadees in Minnesota as they're mostly limited to the Pacific Northwest. I've rarely seen them here, probably because I just haven't looked enough in the habitat that they most frequent.

BTW, I visited your website and you have some very nice bird shots at your site also. And... your equipment list is very similar to mine except that you have the 400/5.6 and I don't (I've thought about it but the predominance of cloudy skies in Oregon makes that f5.6 minimum aperture not quite as attractive).

----------------------------------------------
Old Mar 30, 2006, 2:38 PM   #4

Wonderful photo.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 2:41 PM   #5

Very nice picture I like the colours and how the bird is posing
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 7:00 PM   #6
DBB

geoffs wrote:
Quote:

During my meanderings I was walking along the Wllamette River beneath a grove of Doug Fir trees and came upon a small group of these Chestnut-backed Chickadees. I don't see them much (actually, never before, in the lowlands where I live) so I was really excited when I saw them through my viewfinder and recognized them as such. Sometimes you get lucky and you snap so many shots that are decent you don't know which ones to post. This was one of those cases. It doesn't happen too often for me but I'll take it when it comes! :lol:
Sooner or later everyone comes to New York, but so far, not these little guys. What a pretty little bird!

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 7:08 PM   #7

DBB wrote:
Quote:
Sooner or later everyone comes to New York, but so far, not these little guys. What a pretty little bird!
And a lot of people leave too! (like me) ...but it does tend to be the center of many things. Who knows, perhaps an individual of these will get blown off course right into your backyard one of these years...

Meanwhile, I fully agree with you on how pretty these Chestnut-backed Chickadees are. Any chickadee is an eyeful in my opinion but this species stands out among the others.

BTW, Dave, thanks for the comments!
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:55 PM   #8

Very nicely done.
I would probably have chosen a slightly different crop (lowering the bird) but I don't know what is higher up in the image... this might truly have been the better choice.

You should post more!

I'd love to get to see one of these.

We did have a Varied Thrush in Boston this winter... so maybe a Chestnut-backed Chickadee will show up some day.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:09 PM   #9

Hey, Eric, thanks for looking!

I chose to crop like this for 2 reasons:

1. The bird was looking over its shoulder and somewhat down and I wanted to present more in the direction the bird was gazing.
2. The way it looked to my eye, the way the 2 branches enter the frame on the RHS were balanced out nicely by the way the branches on the LHS exit the frame.

That was my thinking at the time but of course every other pair of eyes could see it slightly differently. :roll:

As for seeing one of these, you'll either have to see them through my camera's lens or else you're going to have to make a road trip out to the Pacific Northwest. Don't worry, I'd show you loads of great places for birds out here - come on out :!:

Hey, I had Varied Thrushes in my front yard earlier in the winter (during a freezing rain storm - they came down from the hills to the lowlands) but only for a day.

--------------------------------------------
Old Mar 31, 2006, 9:10 AM   #10

Very pretty bird indeed. Good job!

//jim
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote