Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 30, 2006, 5:27 PM   #1

Greetings all,

I think this is a Osprey looking down on me, but am not sure. Need help from the experts:G

Enjoy,

Mugmar
Attached Images

Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2006, 6:23 PM   #2

I'm not sure I have ever seen a juvenile osprey, but that isn't an adult osprey.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 6:53 PM   #3
DBB

slipe wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure I have ever seen a juvenile osprey, but that isn't an adult osprey.

I can't tell what it is either, but an Osprey has a "sweet" face, and that ain't it...()

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 9:07 PM   #4

Not an Osprey and not a Bird of Prey I have seen here in Australia either. Interested to find out!!
Mountain Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 9:36 PM   #5
VP

Itlookslike a Coopers Hawk to me.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:48 PM   #6

That is definitely not an osprey. I've seen and photographed them many times.

I would guess either coopers, sharp-shinned or red shouldered. It's very hard to tell with this little of the bird showing. Sneaky of them.

Looking at the cere (the skin over the beak) eliminates coopers. From the book that I have, they don't have that. red shouldered and sharp-shinned do.

The tail is fairly long, but not very long. That makes me think its is red shouldered hawk. tail size isn't a great way to tell form this picture. It looks to me like the tail is not much longer than the wing feathers.

You are within a red shoulder's range as well. (thanks for listing where you're from.)

Just for future info, a juvenile osprey looks very much like an adult. I've seen them on the nest (and I double checked it in a book.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:36 PM   #7

Well, I'll just begin by saying that I cannot be absolutely positive on the id of this bird! There's just not enough of it photographed and what is showing is not in good enough light.

That said, I'll get in line behind Eric to say that this can very likely be a Red-shouldered Hawk. It's not an accipiter IMO - look at where the wingtips fold above the tail and take note of how much tail extends beyond those wingtips - not much as compared to the extension you'd see in an accipiter. Look at the barring/speckling of the wing scapulars; that is pretty good character indication for the Red-shouldered. And then there's the other features that Eric has already mentioned...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 9:21 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I should have mentioned in the original post that this picture was taken in the Florida Everglades. I took several pictures of him/her but was unable to get a better angle than this.

After doing some more research on-line I also think that it is a Red Shouldered Hawk. From what I was able to find out, they are a little lighter in color in Florida then in other places.

Mugmar

Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:04 PM   #9

I spent a week in southern Florida about a month ago. Red Shouldered Hawks (and Osprey) can be seen all over. While there is a lighter morph Red Shouldered in Florida, you can also find the "normal" ones quite often. I expected to see more of the lighter ones, but instead only saw a few. Pity, as I wanted to see them (didn't get a single good photo, darn it.)

Florida is a fun place to photograph birds, isn't it?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:43 AM   #10

I'd agree with the Red-Shouldered, having photographed several in Florida recently.

cheers,

jim
jimtfoto is offline   Reply With Quote