Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:11 PM   #1

I went walking on a new (to me) property a few weeks ago and just got around to editing the images seriously. It was quite cold that day, for the season, and so we saw very little. Here were the two best shots.
Black Capped Chickadee

Common Grackle

I always look for ways to get the color on their heads. This isn't my best ever, but it isn't bad.

Both were taken on a tripod with the Canon 1D MkII N, 600mm (no TC)
first image:1/1250 f5.0 ISO200
second image: 1/1000 f5 ISO200

Both images in photoshop: RAW conver, noise reduction, contrast, hue, crop, reduce, sharpen.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:44 PM   #2
djb

Eric, nice shots!! The chickadee is so cute! and the you got some good color of the grackle's head.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:15 PM   #3

The clarity is amazing. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:28 PM   #4

They are probably really good shots, Eric, but I can't see them... (problems with your server?)

Edit: Ok, I see them now!

Yeah, the chickadee is pretty nice. I like when you can catch them with a seed in their bills.

It's always tough to catch the grackles in just the right light to get the irridescence showing correctly but you did really well in that second shot. I'm a bit undecided about whether the OOF bird in the foreground is an asset or a detriment in this composition...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:13 PM   #5

Glad you three like it.
I'm mixed on food in the shot because I some times shoot from blinds where the sunflower seeds are clearly "fake". But in this case its clearly wild food and I think it adds something. That and the odd angle I like. Looking at it now I might have got the face a bit too white and sharp. Something bugs me there.

Geoffs,
I agree about the forground on the second one. I think it hurts it slightly. But not enough for me to reject it (I actually edited the images to donate to a group trying to protect the site from development. I probably wouldn't have edited it otherwise... maybe.)

I missed a boat-talled grackle in Florida with wonderful color. I don't know if it was me or it being digital... but the color just wasn't there in all 5 shots. So I take it when I can get it.

Eric
Old Apr 1, 2006, 2:28 PM   #6
DBB

I like both shots, especially the Chickadee. A great capture with him handing in the air...

Bad news!

It's a Brown headed Cow Bird....

Tis not a Grackle at all...:?: The beak is a dead givaway...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 2:32 PM   #7

Drat, I can't see the picture again, and I wanted to check out what you are id'ing the bird as Dave!

You know, I saw the OOF bird and thought, "that's no grackle", and then didn't think about it again. If you are right about the bird being a brown-headed cowbird then I guess Eric was right about what Sibley said in that presentation... we often see what we want to see (in this case, Eric said it was a grackle, Eric is good with his bird id, and I accepted the id... oops!)...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 4:40 PM   #8

Damn. The instant you said that, I knew you were right. Where did Grackle come from? I must have still been dreaming of that boat-tailed grackle that got away (when I was in Florida.) They have similar irridence colors.

Thanks for the correction.

It is weird that the images were't showing when I looked at this thread, but then when I hit reply they did appear.

Eric
Old Apr 1, 2006, 5:08 PM   #9
DBB

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Damn. The instant you said that, I knew you were right. Where did Grackle come from? I must have still been dreaming of that boat-tailed grackle that got away (when I was in Florida.) They have similar irridence colors.

Thanks for the correction.

It is weird that the images were't showing when I looked at this thread, but then when I hit reply they did appear.

Eric
Wasn't it you who called me on my "Snow Geese," that turned out to be domestic geese gone wild? Same thing happened, I was LOOKING for Snow Geese, and they were white. Right? Big deal....:lol:

The only reason I was so quick to spot it, was I just took a series on Cowbirds, and they ARE irridscent.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote