Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:11 AM   #1
PvB

Was nice weather: sunny with clouds, though windy. Went into the garden and spotted this bird winging his/her way through the sky. FZ5 in manual mode, magnification: 12x, shutter speed: 1/1000, aperture: 4.50, ISO: 100. Post processing done in Picasa2
Attached Images

PvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:15 PM   #2

Being in the Netherlands, what type of raptor do you think that is?
I know most of the ones in North East US, but nothing of the raptors over there?

You might want to investigate the program "neatimage" or "noiseninja". both are noice reduction programs that can learn the digital noise pattern from the image and then remove it. They don't always work, but some times... they work amazingly well. I find the noise in the sky distracting in this shot, and I bet they could remove it easily.

Both have free versions so you can try it out. They are limited, but not in how they remove noise (paying gets you things like a batch mode and a photoshop plugin.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 8:21 AM   #3
PvB

Hi eric, thanks for the tip. I've downloaded Neatimage, but I see I've got a bit to learn Including how to make use of the FZ5 profile that I downloaded from http://www.neatimage.com.

Anyway, here's the result of my first attempt. I don't know much about birds, so I wouldn't know which bird this is.
Attached Images

Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:42 PM   #4

I've heard that noise ninja has gotten better/easier to use than neat image. When I looked at them both neatimage was better so that is what I own.

That followup image looks much better. When you have that much blue-sky background, neat image is really easy to use. Don't worry too much about the other settings for awhile. Last I checked, the neatimage web site had a fairly good tutorial that you might find helpful.

Flight captures of raptors is not easy, so you did a good job. If that camera has exposure compensation, you'll need to use it for shots against the sky. The bright sky causes the bird to be under-exposed... always gets me unless I have time to prepare.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 1:50 PM   #5
PvB

Hi eric, the bird didn't stick around, so I'm happy I got the shot:-)

The FZ5's exposure can be compensated, though not with increments in manual mode (aperture and shutter speed have to take care of that). Program mode, shutter priority, aperture priority and macro mode can have the exposure adjusted from -2 to +2 in 1/3 increments. I had used the scale that appears after a half press of the shutter (it serves as an indication of the exposure) as a guide for the aperture and shutter speed settings. It's not a surefire method, so I'll no doubt be playing with the exposure in the future.

I was reading the tutorial as I went through the process of noise reduction
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:01 PM   #6
DBB

eric s wrote:
Quote:
I've heard that noise ninja has gotten better/easier to use than neat image. When I looked at them both neatimage was better so that is what I own.

That followup image looks much better. When you have that much blue-sky background, neat image is really easy to use. Don't worry too much about the other settings for awhile. Last I checked, the neatimage web site had a fairly good tutorial that you might find helpful.

Flight captures of raptors is not easy, so you did a good job. If that camera has exposure compensation, you'll need to use it for shots against the sky. The bright sky causes the bird to be under-exposed... always gets me unless I have time to prepare.

Eric
I feel like whinnnnning. I can't use Neat image, they have no Mac version. As far as I know there are three noise removal programs that work miracles: Neat Image, Noise Ninja, and Noiseware Professional.

I own the last two. I used to use Noise Ninja, and every now and then, not satisfied, sed Noiseware. With the latest update of Noiseware, I've reversed the order, now using that program most of the time, and Noise ninja only occasionally.

But I gather they are ALL great. Unbelievable compared to the noise removal built into Photoshop ()

DAve
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote