Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:06 PM   #1
djb

I really don't mean to be rude but, I need an explanation from you expert birders. These 2 mallard drakes, ummmm, went at it as if they were a pair. I thought it may have been a dominance kind of activity (but they didn't chase each other as I've sen before) or maybe they are young and "practicing"?? Can anyone explain this odd (to me) behavior?

dennis

Attached Images

djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2006, 5:22 AM   #2

Maybe they're young males and confused, or maybe they've seen Brokeback Mtn too many times.:G
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:02 AM   #3

its pretty common in many animals. my sister breed dogs and the females carry on like that together, in males it is often a dominance thing
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:03 AM   #4
DBB

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
its pretty common in many animals. my sister breed dogs and the females carry on like that together, in males it is often a dominance thing
Mallards are notorius for their "sexuality." In fact there are numerous hybrid Mallards, which often confuse people. In fact, someone has some hybrid Mallard pictures on this board at the moment without being aware of it. They will cross most commonly with Black Ducks, but they don't limit themselves there. :?

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 5:27 PM   #5

This is a similar picture I took a few weeks ago!!

Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 5:44 PM   #6

In the pond near my house, these three hang out together. Looks like something unusual went on...

The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 6:51 PM   #7
DBB

The Barbarian wrote:
Quote:
In the pond near my house, these three hang out together. Looks like something unusual went on...

:lol: Yes, two of these birds are defintitly Hybrid Mallards. Although to be fair, it looks like a domestic Duck, and almost all domestic Ducks are decendants of Mallards.

Above Boily has posted some hot action - but he is mistaken in one thing. His post is about a "straight" relationship, while Julie posted a Gay alliance in progress...:G

Dave
Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:11 PM   #8
djb

Thanx all!!! I figure it is a dominance thing, but nothing I've ever seen in duck-land. Oh, Dave, as much as I'd like to be as good a photographer as Julie, I'm not her!:blah:

dennis (the original poster)

djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:19 PM   #9
DBB

djb wrote:
Quote:
Thanx all!!! I figure it is a dominance thing, but nothing I've ever seen in duck-land. Oh, Dave, as much as I'd like to be as good a photographer as Julie, I'm not her!:blah:

dennis (the original poster)

AHHHHHH! So sorry!

But you're mistaken - It's all about unaduckerated raw sex.

Mallards will, well, no need to be explicit...:?

Dave
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:03 PM   #10

DBB wrote:
Quote:
The Barbarian wrote:
Quote:

:lol: Yes, two of these birds are defintitly Hybrid Mallards. Although to be fair, it looks like a domestic Duck, and almost all domestic Ducks are decendants of Mallards.

Above Boily has posted some hot action - but he is mistaken in one thing. His post is about a "straight" relationship, while Julie posted a Gay alliance in progress...:G

Dave

We have a beautiful pond in town that comes off a lake. There are wild ducks everywhere. Pacifics, blue bills,musk ducks, coot and pretty mallards. However some domestic ugly ducklings also joined in. Its a strange sight to see a huge uglywhite domestic duck dominating all the ducks when youcome tofeed them bread:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote