Attached Images

101Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 1:23 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Apr 14, 2006, 2:49 PM   #4
DBB

You're a Marvelous photographer

But these images look overly processed. Many of your images look overly processed. I belive you're using a Canon 30?

Either you are not shooting RAW, and have too much noise reduction turned on, or you are post processing with the WRONG noise reduction program.

Sorry for being so BLUNT:blah:

Forunately we are not best friends, because they wont tell you.

()Dave()
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 4:18 PM   #5

I shoot with a 20D, did NO noise redution at all, and yes I DO shoot RAW.
In fact, with these particular shots, I did NO adjustments to the RAW image and only minor curves adjustment in Photoshop. There was no noise reduction applied and only a small amount of USM. The Wood Duck is naturally very colorful and of high contrast, maybe you haven't had the chance to photograph one before?

As a reference, I've attached a completely "out of the camera" version of #2. This is simply that RAW image converted to JPG with absolutely no adjustments whatsoever.
Attached Images

Old Apr 14, 2006, 6:36 PM   #6
DBB

101Linda wrote:
Quote:
I shoot with a 20D, did NO noise redution at all, and yes I DO shoot RAW.
In fact, with these particular shots, I did NO adjustments to the RAW image and only minor curves adjustment in Photoshop. There was no noise reduction applied and only a small amount of USM. The Wood Duck is naturally very colorful and of high contrast, maybe you haven't had the chance to photograph one before?

As a reference, I've attached a completely "out of the camera" version of #2. This is simply that RAW image converted to JPG with absolutely no adjustments whatsoever.
Well then two questions:

1. What RAW converter do you use.
2. What are the noise settings In your camera, and how do you alter then in your RAW converter.

Let me be clear. The RAW file of course can have the in-camera setting stripped out or exagerated or left as is.

So when you say you didn't change the noise setting in the RAW file, what are your programs defaults?

How are you dealing with these questions?

As far as shooting Wood Ducks, no, I have no close-ups , and two, it doesn't matter...

I think you're a marvelous photographer. The problem is CLEARLY not with your ability to take a picture. The problem is in the processing.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 8:19 PM   #7

Dave, i'm no expert, but the only thing i could nitpick about these is that perhaps the contrast is a bit much, and there's not a lot of detail in the darker areas on the male. but with a 400mm lens, and bright lighting (1/1600 @ f5.6), these came out pretty darn well. i might have slowed down the shutter to, say, 1/640-1/800 and bumped the f-stop up some to gain a little more detail, but that's about it.

hope you don't mind, Linda, but here's a wood duck i shot with my 30D and a Sigma 80-400 lens at 400mm, 1/500, f7.1 @ ISO 400. even on this one, which isn't near as brightly lit as yours, there's a lot of contrast between some parts of his plumage and others. i just got my 30D and haven't started learning about RAW yet (still trying to get the mechanics down! :?), so this was shot in JPEG, but all it's had done is a bit of crop, resizing and sharpening to compensate for file compression. personally, i think it's all in the lighting...

Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:24 PM   #8

Squirl - Of course I don't mind you posting your Wood Duck photo - it is absolutely stunning - GREAT job And, yes, I agree with you - "it's all in the lighting". Thank you for your comments.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 2:19 AM   #9

Linda, I'll echo Dave's compliment for your photography. You do take very good photos and so there is no question about that. I've been looking at the photos that squirl033 has been posting and must say that his photos have been absolutely terrific also.

I can see how Dave might wonder about the amount of post-processing of your images. Something that would really help in answering the questions that people might have when they see your images, and this is good advice for everyone else posting here at Steve's, is to include the tech data for the shots that you post. It helps people admiring your images to learn from your abilities and for those wanting to critique it helps them to be more specific in doing so.

I am personally interested in what lens you were using with your 20D, the exposure data for these images including the ISO and EC they were taken at, etc. How much of a crop were these images from the original image, etc. Did you use Adobe ACR for raw processing? If so, what is your default setting for noise reduction, etc...

Good light and good exposure does wonders for eliminating noise in a 20D image, so you and squirl033 are right on with that comment.

A sidenote to squirl033: The in camera processing that is done by your camera to go from the internal raw image to the jpeg for the mode you are shooting in does mucho post-processing of the raw image. You will already have applied curves/leveling adjustments, sharpening, probably noise reduction, saturation and hue adjustments, etc, so it is not comparing apples to apples when you post a "non-processed" jpeg from the camera as a comparison with the images that Linda has posted.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote