Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 15, 2006, 1:05 PM   #1

it brightened up briefly this morning - VERY briefly! - so i headed to the lake to see if i could get anything worthwhile. not much going on, and it turned dark and cold and windy, soi was about to pack it in when i saw a cormorant come up with a fish. he was immediately assailed by one of his fellows, and in the end, he dropped his catch and neither of them got breakfast! these aren't very good due to lousy light and low shutter speeds (400mm, 1/320 @ f5.6), but you get the idea...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2006, 1:12 PM   #2
DBB

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
it brightened up briefly this morning - VERY briefly! - so i headed to the lake to see if i could get anything worthwhile. not much going on, and it turned dark and cold and windy, so i was about to pack it in when i saw a cormorant come up with a fish. he was immediately assailed by one of his fellows, and in the end, he dropped his catch and neither of them got breakfast! these aren't very good due to lousy light and low shutter speeds (400mm, 1/320 @ f5.6), but you get the idea...

Oh no, they're peachy!!!

It looks like the Suckers are going through their mating frenzy. You see all the fins in the water? Fantastic. And with all these available fish....

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 1:31 PM   #3

Excellent sequence. That is pretty rare activity for cormorants around here. I see them dive regularly and they seldom try to steal a fish from one another. It must have been a territorial dispute.

Gulls regularly try to steal fish from pelicans and sometimes from cormorants.

I have two large poles with one taller than the other. They can go for an hour without a bird, but once one lands on the taller pole another bird always feels compelled to drive it to the lower pole and take the higher one. Everyone seems to know who they can displace and who they have to defer to except the cormorants.

On a regular basis a cormorant sitting on the taller pole will refuse to defer to another cormorant who is trying to displace it. They both end up falling into the water during the ensuing fight. Since their wings get wet so they can dive more easily, neither can get back to the tall pole and have to settle for the boat lift while they dry their wings.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 1:40 PM   #4

DBB wrote:
Quote:
squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
it brightened up briefly this morning - VERY briefly! - so i headed to the lake to see if i could get anything worthwhile. not much going on, and it turned dark and cold and windy, so i was about to pack it in when i saw a cormorant come up with a fish. he was immediately assailed by one of his fellows, and in the end, he dropped his catch and neither of them got breakfast! these aren't very good due to lousy light and low shutter speeds (400mm, 1/320 @ f5.6), but you get the idea...

Oh no, they're peachy!!!

It looks like the Suckers are going through their mating frenzy. You see all the fins in the water? Fantastic. And with all these available fish....

Dave
those aren't fins, Dave, they're lily pads...
Old Apr 15, 2006, 1:46 PM   #5
DBB

Quote:

How can that be when I've already ided them as Suckers? Are you "implying" that I am mistaken? Next, you'll be telling me that that was a catfish...:?

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 2:06 PM   #6

DBB wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
How can that be when I've already ided them as Suckers? Are you "implying" that I am mistaken? Next, you'll be telling me that that was a catfish...:?

Dave
:lol:

here's a shot taken a few minutes prior to the series above, showing the aggressor arriving on the scene. you can see the lily pads pretty well in this one...
Attached Images

Old Apr 16, 2006, 12:15 AM   #7
djb

Squirl, nice series!!! I'd be very please with those shots. Dave, lay off those mushrooms!! hmmm, whose the sucker??:blah: ha ha ha!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 5:34 AM   #8

bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote