Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:35 AM   #1

Don't try this at home kids. I have 45 years practice at being a dumb arse:blah:
Copperhead, full frame, no crop.
Attached Images

twistedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:36 AM   #2

full size but croped to 8x10
Attached Images

Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:37 AM   #3

Cottenmouth? :?
Attached Images

Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:45 AM   #4
djb

Well, now I know why you call yourself twisted!!! :-)Were these taken in the wild? The last is a cottonmouth. how close were you? equipment?

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 1:25 AM   #5

Those snakes were hanging out in a cypress swamp. I couldn't very close to the cottenmouth. He kept trying to bite me. That little guy had a big attitude.
Attached Images

Old Apr 24, 2006, 1:39 AM   #6

The copperhead was prety cool he let me take all the pictures I wanted and didn't try to bite me once. I had my camera up in his face too:|
Canon EOS 20D
Sigma 180mm F3.5 macro. I got within about 8 to 10"
from the front of the lens to the copperhead. I had to move my hand REAL slow when focusing. He could have struck me easly then.
Attached Images

Old Apr 24, 2006, 3:43 AM   #7

Ha Ha, you are crazy:-). A while back Hubby and I were out for a drive when we saw a dugite (very poisonous snake) sun baking ON the road. I had the camera with me so I got out of the car, left the door open and proceeded to take a few shots from a distance of about 30 feet, the minute that snake moved i almost walked on air, Ive never hit the car and shut the door so fast in my life:-):-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 7:01 AM   #8

8-10"?:shock:
Barracuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 8:45 AM   #9
DBB

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
Ha Ha, you are crazy:-). A while back Hubby and I were out for a drive when we saw a dugite (very poisonous snake) sun baking ON the road. I had the camera with me so I got out of the car, left the door open and proceeded to take a few shots from a distance of about 30 feet, the minute that snake moved i almost walked on air, Ive never hit the car and shut the door so fast in my life:-):-)
Well Australians certainly don't have to complain about a paucity of poisonous snakes. I've read all about it:!::!:

Our Copperhead is more poisonous then most people think, but very few die. They are also extremely timid, unaggresive. You really have to step on them to get a bite.

But with the Cottonmouth, we North Americans need not hold our heads in shame. On top of having a fatal bite (you ARE going to die without quick help) they are VERY aggresive.

I used to catch Copperheads as a kid. My father told me never to hurt them, and I didn't. But the Cotton mouth, and they're difficult to tell from half a dozen non-poisonous snakes, is another kettle of fish...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote